The Best Areas To Stay In Paris
Paris is the most art-filled, romantic, and aesthetically stunning city in Europe. It is a city of fashion, music, and high art.
And so, knowing where to stay and which neighborhoods to spend time in is vital to getting the most out of Paris.
Every district discussed here is worth exploring, but each one also provides something unique, depending on the kind of tourist or traveler you are.
Regardless, youll find in each of these districts beautiful examples of Paris most refined architecture, as well as delightful cafes and high-end restaurants, as well as parks and avenues to stroll through.
From the student-filled Latin Quarter with its second-hand bookstores and boutique clothing stores to the chic and refined 6th Arrondissement with its high fashion and peak aesthetics, there is something for everyone in Paris: a city of dreams, art, and romantic experiences.
Whether youre looking to dig into the citys history, admire its iconic architecture, or experience its best bars, cafes, and restaurants, youll find everything you need to know in this guide to the five best neighborhoods in Paris.
Not only that, but also the best hotels in Paris City center, inns, and hostels to stay in once youve picked your district of choice.
Best Luxury Hotel In Paris: Hotel Villa Destres
Ive stayed in a few luxury hotels in Paris and my favorite is Hotel Villa dEstrées. I relaxed the moment I stepped in. It was elegant, streamlined, and old-fashioned but not cliche. The bathroom had a beautiful vanity and the windows had a view over St. Germain.
While Paris hotels are usually known for being cramped and tiny, my room at the Villa dEstrées was spacious and actually had room for a couch.
And the location? Magnifique. St. Germain, a 30-second walk from the St. Michel metro stop and just steps from the shops and galleries of St. Germain, making it one of the best places to stay in Paris. Even though an Irish pub is next door, you dont hear the noise of it at all.
Where To Stay In St
St-Germain, the westernmost section of Pariss Left Bank, has long been famous as the haunt of bohemians and intellectuals. A few famous cafés preserve a strong flavour of the old times, but the dominant spirit these days is elegant, relaxed and seriously upmarket.
Best for a quirky boutique: LHôtel
This hotel epitomizes louche Left Bank opulence, with twenty sumptuous rooms.
Best for a hotel with bohemian character: Hôtel de Nesle
Book for the themed rooms and a charming courtyard garden.
Don’t Miss: Hotels Winthrop Washington
Where To Stay In The Latin Quarter
- Hotel Residence Henri IV – Boutique design hotel with 13 beautifully furnished rooms and apartments featuring 4-poster and canopy beds, located on a quiet street near the Sorbonne
- Hotel La Lanterne – Chic 4-star boutique hotel featuring antiques contrasted with creative modern design with a Parisian street lamp theme, 27 guest rooms, indoor pool and spa popular for romantic getaways
- Hotel Parc Saint Severin – Serene 27-room boutique 4-star hotel on a quiet street splurge on a terrace room or suite
- The Originals Boutique, Hotel Mouffetard Apolonia – Freshly renovated 3-star hotel 42 with guestrooms, air conditioning, and an elevator lots of charming cafes and shops nearby
- Hotel les Dames du Panthéon – Located directly across from the Pantheon , this 4-star boutique hotel pays tribute to famous French and Francophone African women in the vibrant decor of its 35 rooms and suites
- Hotel des Grandes Ecoles – Highly recommended affordable family-run 2-star hotel with 51 rooms ranging from small to spacious, charming French country home decor, and a lovely shaded private terrace no TVs paid onsite parking very popular so book early!
- Hotel du College de France – Another highly recommended family-run 2-star affordable boutique hotel with 29 guestrooms, comfortable beds, and nice contemporary decor
Is Opra One Of The Best Hotel Locations In Paris
Definitely. Opéra is one of those places in Paris, that really looks like Paris. It is not the Paris of Amélie but the Paris of the Grand Boulevards, the imposing Haussmann buildings with their stunning facades, fancy department stores, museums, and lots of shopping opportunities.
If you are traveling on a tighter budget, the 9th has surprisingly many hotels that could be classified as lower-middle class. Even some really good budget hotels are in the area. For example, the Ibis Hotel near Opéra is one of the most popular of the chain in Paris You can see a more detailed description of the best Ibis budget hotels in Paris here
Recommended Reading: Places To Stay In Houghton Mi
The 1st And 2nd Arrondissements
The 1st and 2nd arrondissements are the dead centre of Paris. Home to the Louvre, the Tuileries Gardens and a number of key Metro stations, the 1st and 2nd arrondissements of Paris are about as central as it gets in ANY city ANYWHERE in the world. Oh, and by the way, its also the home of some pretty sumptuous hotels.like the Meurice, the Crillon and of course, the Ritz.
Where To Stay In Le Marais Paris: 3d And 4th Arrondissements Five Best Hotels To Stay
#1: 1ER Etage, , Prices start at 180 Euros
A quiet small hotel with just five rooms and a nice breakfast.
#2: Emile, , Prices start at 125 euros
A small hotel with 30 rooms and free ipads, free wifi and a friendly owner. Rooms are in a contemporary black and white style.
#3: Hotel Dupond-Smith, Prices start at 380 Euros
Small hotel with 8 rooms and suites.
#4: Le Pavillon De La Reine, Prices start at 385 Euros
A hotel with 55 rooms and suites in a luxury style. Won a label of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
#5: Les Bains. Prices start at 490 Euros
A fashionable hotel decorated by Philippe Starck.
We hope you now have a good idea of what are the best areas to stay in Paris. For any questions regarding where to stay in Paris, feel free to comment below. Have fun in Paris!
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Area To Stay In Dominican Republic
Benefits Of Staying Near The Eiffel Tower
- many hotels have rooms with views of the Eiffel Tower
- easy access to the Eiffel Tower
- many historic sights at walking distance
- well-connected to the rest of the city with a handful of metro lines
This chic boutique hotel is just a short walk from Champ de Mars. The modern rooms are spacious and air-conditioned. Plus, there is a farmers market right across the street. Its the best place to buy some baguettes, cheese and fruits for a picnic in front of the tower!Why book 800m from the Eiffel Tower, spacious soundproofed rooms, Nespresso machine
Located in the elegant 7th arrondissement, Hôtel Le Walt is a short distance away from the Eiffel Tower. Some of the rooms feature splendid views of the iconic sight. In addition, there is a huge Carrefour supermarket opposite the hotel .Why book 850m from the Eiffel Tower, private garden terrace, spacious bathrooms
Situated on Rue Cler, this hotel features a unique location. Rue Cler is one of the most delightful Parisian streets. Its semi-pedestrianised with original cobblestones and boasts delicatessen shops and authentic street markets. Stay here to experience Paris as a true Parisian!Why book 790m from the Eiffel Tower, comfortable quiet rooms with air-conditioning
The Best Neighbourhood In Paris
Without a doubt, we are certain the best area to stay in Paris for the first time visitor is the 7th arrondissement.This is where the Eiffel Tower is located so your hotel will be walking distance from the main tourist attraction in Paris. Chances are, your room will have a direct view of the Eiffel Tower too. This is also the best neighbourhood in Paris if you want to be very close to the main tourist attractions, restaurants, cafes and cultural happenings.
- Where to stay in Paris for first timers – 7th arrondissement
- Where to stay in Paris for sightseeing: 1st arrondissement
- Where to stay in Paris for luxury: 8th arrondissement
- Where to stay in Paris for romance: 18th arrondissement
- Where to stay in Paris for nightlife & shopping: 4th arrondissement
- Where to stay in Paris for culture: 9th arrondissement
- Where to stay in Paris for families: 6th arrondissement
- Where to stay in Paris for history: 5th arrondissement
Also Check: Lodging In Winthrop Washington
Where To Stay In Montmartre
As a bonus, Montmartre is one of the best areas in Paris to find affordable hotels for a budget-friendly vacation.
Our recommendations include hotels just in Montmartre, not other 18th arrondissement neighborhoods, and we avoid hotels on Boulevard de Clichy/Boulevard de Rochechouart, a noisy and rather charmless road.
- Terrass Hotel – Best know for its rooftop terrace bar offering spectacular Paris views, this 4-star hotel offers chic 92 rooms and suites in the Abbesses area about a 10 minute walk from Sacre Coeur
- Montmartre Residence – Enjoy having your own charming and well-equipped apartment by the famous Wall of Love in the lovely Abbesses area of Montmartre
- Hotel des Arts Montmartre – Recently renovated, this high-rated 4-star hotel features vibrant yet soothing decor in its 50 guest rooms and a wonderful location
- Odalys City Paris Montmartre – This “appart’hotel” offers studio and 1-bedroom apartments equipped with kitchenettes breakfast is available if you choose, and there is an onsite fitness center – highly rated, and excellent value for the money
Eiffel Good Place To Stay In Paris For First
There is a certain allure to staying in the 7th arrondissement of Paris if your desire is to be with walking distance to the Eiffel Tower and Champs de Mars. Many visitors settle on the historic Faubourg Saint-Germain district when seeking to experience a glittering, gilded Parisian holiday experience.
Of course, you will typically pay a premium to stay in what is considered to be the stomping grounds of French high society and international aristocrats. Peppered with upscale, exclusive shops and restaurants Faubourg Saint-Germain is a gateway to the Eiffel Tower.
Indulge in long, leisurely visits spent enjoying the emerald expanse just beyond the tower known as the Champ de Mars. As the largest public greenspace in Paris, the Champ de Mars offers the perfect setting for contemplating all that youve taken in during your sightseeing.
A stay in Faubourg Saint-Germain also invites visits to the military museum and tomb of Napoleon Bonaparte at Les Invalides. Fans of sculpture and Impressionist works should not miss opportunities to tour the Orsay Museum and Rodin Museum while visiting Faubourg Saint-Germain.
Faubourg Saint-Germain also happens to be one of the best spots in the city for picking up Seine cruises.
BEST PLACES TO STAY IN PARIS IN EIFFEL
Also Check: Lodging Near Winthrop Wa
Things To See And Do In Montmartre
- Catch a risqué cabaret performance at the Moulin Rouge.
- Delve deep into the history of Montmartre and some of its most famous residents at the Musee de Montmartre.
- Shop for goods and produce at Le Marche de Barbes, one of the cheapest markets in Paris.
- Visit Espace Dali to see a fantastic collection of works by Salvador Dali.
- Watch street artists in action at the Place du Tertre.
Best Neighborhoods In Paris
If I were choosing the best neighborhoods in Paris, at the top of my list would be the Marais and St. Germain, followed by the good part of Montmartre.
I think the Marais is the best neighborhood in Paris overall because it has so much to offer its a creative, colorful neighborhood filled with interesting boutiques, beautiful parks, and some of the quirkiest architecture in the city .
The Marais is also home to the best crepe restaurant in Paris and the best cheap meal in Paris: the falafel at LAs du Falafel, which is best eaten as a picnic in the Places des Vosges. When you stay in the Marais, you have easy access to art, shopping, and several metro lines that can take you all over the city.
I think St. Germain is another one of the best places to stay in Paris because it has retained its Left Bank artistic culture over time. This is the neighborhood where Sartre, Hemingway, and Dali used to hang out amongst the Lost Generation.
You can sit in one of those famous St. Germain cafes by day, or check out the galleries and bookstores that line the streets. When you stay in St. Germain, you have easy access to the Jardin Luxembourg, the Musée dOrsay, Notre-Dame, and plenty of other metro lines.
Staying in Montmartre gives you easy access to the Sacre-Coeur , the cheesy but wonderful Moulin Rouge! show, and plenty of beautiful cafes and boutiques.
Traveling to Paris alone?
Dont miss my Solo Female Travel Guide to Paris.
Which Area Should You Choose
First of all, here is a map of all the best areas to stay in Paris that Ill be talking about in this post, so you can better visualize them:
The city of Paris is divided into 20 different neighborhoods called arrondissements. Starting from the center of the city and going to the margins, the neighborhoods are numbered in a spiral shape. The center of the city is the island where Notre-Dame Cathedral is located, known as Ile de la Cité and the 1st arrondissement.
As you might have already guessed, the neighborhoods located right in the center of the city have lower numbers , and from the 12th arrondissement on you will find the more distant, outer districts.
That being said, here is my list of personalized recommendations for the best places to stay in Paris, broken down by your interests and itinerary:
- Where to stay in Paris for luxury: 1st arrondissement or 8th arrondissement
- Where to stay in Paris for budget travelers: Montmartre
- Where to stay in Paris for nightlife: Le Marais
- Where to stay in Paris for families: Saint-Germain
If you are searching for the best arrondissement to stay in Paris, you should know that each neighborhood has its own unique vibe and look and you should choose your favorite depending on your own preference.
Here are my 7 neighborhood recommendations with great hotels for each one of them sorted by price for your convenience:
Le Marais & Bastille Area
Still on the right bank, immediately north of Paris monumental city hall Hôtel de Ville, Le Marais kicks in with trendsetting dining and bags of hipster attitude in the 3e arrondissement. The fantastic Musée National Picasso, the Victor Hugo house-museum on achingly beautiful Place des Vosges, and the largely unsung Musée des Arts et Metiers are top sights here. To the north, boutique shopping for unique fashion and art pieces in Haut-Marais is second-to-none. To the east, in the neighbouring 11e arrondissement, the pace quickens in the Bastille area with creative bistro openings and outstanding street markets.
Where to stay in LE MARAIS & BASTILLE
You May Like: Vacation Rentals Houghton Mi
Le Quartier Latin Nightlife And Young Vibe
The Latin Quarter of Paris within the 5th and the 6th arrondissements is a haven for students on the Seines left bank. This is a lively, youthful place where backpackers are sure to feel welcomed. Its a scene if idyllic bistros and cafés for as far as the eye can see here.
The list of higher-learning institutions spread across the Latin Quarter includes the Collège de France and the Sorbonne. Perched on the Montagne Sainte-Geneviève overlooking the Seine is where youll find the famed Parisian Panthéon.
The Latin Quarter offers easy access to the Luxembourg Gardens of the 6th arrondissement. The vibrant, celebratory experience of staying in the Latin Quarter of Paris is rounded out by academic attractions like the National Museum of the Middle Ages.
Of course, one must dedicate time to shopping, strolling and people watching at Rue Mouffetard, Rue Monge and the quaint Place de la Contrescarpe to truly appreciate the deep beauty of this neighborhood.
It is often easy to find affordable places for backpackers to stay in Paris in the Latin Quarter due to the neighborhoods reputation as being an accommodating place for students.
However, you wont necessarily find the volume of hotels here that you might in more commercial portions of the city. The Latin Quarter is served by the Saint-Michel station.
BEST PLACES TO STAY IN QUARTIER LATIN
Best Places For Tourists Attractions Next Door
Its time for a choice, which is the most important thing you want to visit. Is it the Eiffel Tower? Is it the Carrousel du Louvre? Are you just looking forward to the famous Les Deux Magots café?
By the way, what is the Les Deux Magots café? The central point of the poets, the writers, the painters, the elite of the city. It was used also in famous movies like Inception, with Di Caprio.
The Les Deux Magots café is another place to add to the bucket list, although the coffee is not that great, as most of the French coffee btw.ops, well I must admit I am a bit spoiled by the Melbourne coffee LOL
If you are after a hotel with the view of the Eiffel Tower than keep reading as I have added a couple of suggestions in the next chapter.
Otherwise, there are other few options:
Top 3 experiences for tourists in Paris :
- Hop-on Hop-off Bus Tour: easy and practical way to discover the city, either in one or two days. The metro is a quicker mean of transportation, however, there is not much of a view. Thats where the bus is the winner.
- The City of Lights on sunset with a river cruise: its a 1-hour experience that will show Paris on a different light, the romantic one.
- Paris Highlights on a Segway Tour: why not have some fun and at the same time exploring the city with a guided tour for 2.5 hours.
Read Also: Cheap Hotels Bradenton