Top 12 Cool And Unusual Hotels In San Jose 2022
The heart of Silicon Valley, Californias major and world-famous technology hub, San Jose offers a lot more than just being San Franciscos smaller neighbor. Californias oldest Spanish civilian settlement, its surrounded by rolling hills and within a drive of seriously beautiful wine country.
In the city itself, highlights include lively nightlife, epic wineries, a historic downtown, excellent restaurants, an eclectic food scene, awesome shopping, and of course tech startups galore. It also has some pretty special places to stay, from intimate boutiques to sleek and modern high rises, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in San Jose, California
Staying In Cabo Pulmo
One of the highlights of the East Cape some 80 miles of wild coastline, including some stunning, unpeopled beaches is Cabo Pulmo, an off-the-grid village thats the gateway to the Cabo Pulmo National Marine Park, renowned for its Pacific reef and excellent scuba diving. There is good snorkeling at Playa Los Arbolites near the village, but for even better marine life, head for the Playa Los Frailes cove, some 20 minutes drive south of the village.
Top 3 Activities In San Jose
1. Pay a visit to the Jade MuseumThe Museo del Jade focuses on the protection and conservation of jade in Central America. Take a look at all five levels of exhibits showcasing objects created by artisans along with many other pre-Colombian artifacts. Learn all about what jade represents and how it went from being used as a weapon to jewelry.
2. Enjoy a hot cup of Costa Rican coffee at Alma de CafeIf you have a sweet tooth, be sure to sample one of their homemade desserts made from local Costa Rican chocolate.
3. Spend some time in the outdoorsLa Sabina Park is the most popular park in San Jose. You will see plenty of kids kicking around the soccer ball and workers on their lunch break. This is the perfect afternoon picnic spot. Grab a bite to eat from a local bakery or sandwich shop, bring a blanket, and enjoy lunch in the beautiful weather.
Recommended Reading: Places To Stay In Atlanta Near Aquarium
Top 3 Activities In Monteverde
1. Definitely check out the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve. They have some incredible animals like jaguars, ocelots, sloths, monkeys, and more exotic species.
2. While youre visiting the Cloud Forest, take a ride on one of the zip-lines for an incredible aerial view of the forest.
Tip: If youre afraid of heights you might want to pass on this activity!
3. To see astonishing hummingbird and butterfly gardens head over to Selvatura Adventure Park. They also have special offers if youre traveling with your family or as a couple.
Top 3 Activities In Tamarindo Beach
1. Book a catamaran with a private skipper to experience Tamarindo from the bay. If youre lucky, you may even see dolphins, sea turtles, and whales depending on the time of year.
2. Take an ATV tour. Many of the stops on the tour are only accessible by a dirt road, so be sure to wear something you wont mind getting a little muddy.
3. Go surfing! If youre already in one of the worlds top surfing destinations, no doubt, youll want to try to catch a wave of your own. You can rent a board from the local shacks on the beaches. Many local surf shops also offer lessons at reasonable prices.
Read Also: Best Places To Stay In Zion
Tourism In San Jos: Overview
In 1738, the Spanish founded San José. It was meant to centralize and concentrate the people of the Aserrí Valley with the construction of a chapel: La Boca del Monte. In 1740, St. Joseph was elected the parish patron and gave the capital its name: San José. It wasnt until 1823 that it was named the capital one of the youngest capital cities in all of Latin America.
The best way to navigate this bustling city is by walking in the day. By walking you are avoiding the heavy traffic on roads and the central Downtown area is small enough to explore on foot. Walking also gives you the ability to ease stress by not renting a car and worrying about finding a parking spot, which can be a challenge in the city.
If you need another option there are public buses however, with the public transportation its best to know exactly where you want to go on the bus route, where and when to get off, because the driver most likely will not speak a language outside of Spanish.
Taxis are also available for the night, but for your safety be sure to only use the citys official taxis. They should have the proper markings: taxis are red and have a yellow triangle on the drivers door. The triangle on the door should give the license, as well as the province. Only take a taxi marked the province that you are currently in. Taxis may only pick up customers within their own province.
Sunnyvale Best Place To Stay Near San Jose For Tranquility
Located 12 miles northwest of San Jose Downtown and the central area, Sunnyvale is also a separate city. I even found a nickname, Santa Claras little sister, as they share some parts of Californias Great America amusement park. This area is super quiet, filled with restaurants, perfect for those who want to search for hotels in San Jose close to all the central attractions but a bit further away from all the city noise!
Were still in Silicon Valley, America, though, so expect to see a few headquarters of some big companies on the street. Yahoo and Intel are some of the businesses located in Sunnyvale.
The city is located near the bay area, so youll get some amazing views here, especially at sunset. Sunnyvale Bay Trail is one of my favorite spots and probably the most scenic one as well, perfect for a midday walk. There is also a fair share of parks and recreation spots here, like Ortega Park and Serra Park.
- Catch a sunset at Sunnyvale Bay Trail
- Explore around and play tennis at Serra Park
You May Like: Places To Stay In Calistoga Ca
San Pedro Where To Stay In San Jos Costa Rica For Nightlife
Home to the citys university, San Pedro is located 5 miles east of the city center and is the best location to stay in San José if you like to party after the sunsets! A while ago, this area was independent of San José and as youll discover, youll still get that feeling as if youre not in San José here.
Its also probably because of all the young students that San Pedro has this different atmosphere. Here everyone wants to party, hang out in trendy cafes, and explore all the shopping centers and nightlife. The area around the University of Costa Rica is perfect for that and more.
If you arent too hungovered from the previous night, definitely check the University campus in San José during the day. After all, its one of the oldest and most known colleges in Costa Rica, so youll get to learn a lot about their culture. Plus, youll find a super cool Insect Museum and a Planetarium!
PRO TIP: Barrio Escalante did not make it to our list officially, but it is a lively area located in between Amon and San Pedro with tooooons os bars and restaurants too, so anything you find there is also very good and very walkable to the downtown .
Things to do in San Pedro
- Enjoy San Pedros nightlife at Xcape Bar & Lounge in San José
- Explore the universitys campus and visit the Insect Museum and Planetarium
- Buy souvenirs from Outlet Mall San Pedro
- Have a cocktail at OClock Lounge in San José
- Check out the University Theatre
- Mingle with the locals and dance all night at Nova Río Lounge
Best Neighbourhood In San Jose For Couples
- COOLEST thing to do in Escazu take an evening food and wine tour with San Jose Urban Tours
- BEST place to visit in Escazu head to Pueblo Antiguo, a theme park located at the edge of Escazu
Escazu is one of the wealthier suburbs of San Jose and is a great place to stay for a relaxed trip. Filled with country clubs, spas and restaurants, Escazu is perfect for couples looking for an easy getaway, or simply a quick stopover before exploring the rest of Costa Rica!
As it is one of the most popular areas for American expats, English is spoken by most businesses in the area making it easy to get by if your Spanish is limited. Sheltered by the surrounding nature, Escazu also has better weather than other areas of San Jose!
- Indulge in some fine dining at the various restaurants across the area Product C is a great option, with fresh seafood served every day
- Shop until you drop at Multiplaza Mall, filled with international brands and upscale outlets
- Explore the surrounding mountains for spectacular views across the city there are some great tour companies that can assist
- Try out Escazus upmarket bar scene Cantina La Cava offers a huge wine list and locally inspired cocktails
- Head to the local branch of Yoga Massage Therapy for a variety of spa and holistic treatments
Also Check: Where To Stay In Auckland New Zealand
The Best Area To Stay To Catch A Show: Hayes Valley
Do you love old houses, especially Queen Anne and Edwardian? Walking along this neighborhood lets you appreciate the fine quality that goes into these townhouses. The SF JAZZ Center puts on plenty of performances that have you dancing in your seat and high-end boutiques satisfy any shopping needs.
Contemporary 1/1 Near The Heart Of Dt San Jose A Modern And Cozy Apartment Close To Amazing Attractions
Less than a mile from Happy Hollow Park and Zoo and the San Jose Civic Auditorium, this apartment offers comfortable, modern living for your stay in San Jose.
Featuring a fully fitted kitchen, its ideal for those looking to do their own thing and not be stuck to a timetable and makes a great base for exploring San Jose at your own pace.
With large windows that flood the living areas with light, this is a fantastic space to sit and relax too, with modern, uncluttered décor giving you the touches of home that a hotel just cannot match. When you want to work to your own itinerary, skip the hotel and go it alone, with this amazing apartment.
Recommended Reading: Places To Stay In Ibiza For Clubbing
The Best Area To Stay If You’re Bringing Your Best Friend : Nob Hill And Fisherman’s Wharf
San Francisco is a city for everyone, even the furry ones in our lives. We know how important they are to you, so if you’re bringing your pets with you on your trip, you’ll want to stay in Nob Hill or Fisherman’s Wharf. These two neighborhoods in the heart of San Francisco give you and your pet a spectacular view and access to the bay breeze.
Things To Do And See In Rose Garden
- See the ancient artifacts and exhibits at the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum
- Watch the sky unfold before you at the planetarium
- Take a walk in the park at the Rose Garden
- Catch a movie at the vintage Towne 3 Cinema
- Eat some delicious vegan and vegetarian crepes at the colorful Crepes Bistro
- Catch a performing arts show at the local community theatre the Historic Hoover Theatre
- Enjoy a picnic in one of the neighborhood parks: Del Monte Park, Cahill Park, or OConnor Park
- Check out the Winchester Mystery House which is one of the most bizarre and iconic sites in San Jose
Read Also: Best Hotels To Stay In Midtown Manhattan
The Best Area To Stay If You Want To Shop: Union Square
Are you in the mood for some serious shopping? Then this is the perfect neighborhood to shop the major retail brands. Here you’ll have your pick of the litter as most of the city’s hotels reside here. Another great reason to stay in Union Square: it’s a transportation hub, so it’s easy to get everywhere else.
Campbell And Willow Glen Convenient And Residential Neighborhood
Another place to consider staying while visiting Silicon Valley and San Jose is Campbell. Technically a San Jose suburb, Campbell is bordered by West San Jose on the north, Willow Glen on the east, Los Gatos on the south, and Saratoga on the west.
Campbell has a well-connected public transportation system. its just a quick ride on the light rail or a short drive away from Downtown San Jose. This public transportation system helps residents to commute surrounding Silicon Valley cities without a car.
There are plenty of bars, restaurants, night clubs and shops in this hip Silicon Valley downtown that appeal to young people all over Silicon Valley. its also home to many young professionals, students, and families.
One of the attractions in Campbell is the Sunday Farmers Market which is hosted at the main thoroughfare, East Campbell Avenue, where you buy seasonal fruits and vegetables, artisan cheeses, and local coffee beans.
Campbell is also home to some cultural and historical attractions such as Campbell Historical Museum, Heritage Theatre, and Ainsley House Museum. There are also many parks and recreational areas for outdoor activities such as Los Gatos Creek Trail and John D. Morgan Park.
Being located close to West San Jose, you are also close to attractions like The Winchester Mystery House, a high-end open-air shopping of Santana Row Westfield Valley Fair Mall which is one of the largest in the United States
Best places to stay in Campbell:
Don’t Miss: Best Towns To Stay In Near Acadia National Park
San Jose Best Places To Stay In Costa Rica
Many travelers to Costa Rica will arrive and depart from the capital city of San Jose. Before you jet off to the rainforest or the beach, considering staying in San Jose for a night or two, as you will get a good sense of the Costa Rica culture and cuisine that you might not find in beach resorts that are accommodating to tourists as its one of the best areas to stay in costa rica.
San Jose is also a great place for day trips to nearby cloud forests and volcanoes, such as Irazu or Poas. San Jose has excellent museums, historic architecture, restaurants and night clubs, as well as a wide variety of hotels to choose from.
Asclepios Wellness & Healing Retreat
Many visitors come to Costa Rica on wellness and spirituality excursions, which makes Asclepios Wellness & Healing Retreat such a great option. You can find several health lodges and yoga retreats throughout the country, particularly on the Pacific coast, but you don’t have to wait until you get out of the capital to rejuvenate mind, body, and soul. You can simply travel north of San José to the outskirts of the Alajuela neighborhood and Asclepios.
The 12 rooms in this boutique hotel are tastefully done in bridal white with brick floors, canopy beds, and claw bathtubs in the washroom. The grounds are impeccably maintained, and the 20,000-square-foot property looks out over a sprawling organic farm . Asclepios offers an abundance of wellness and spa services, including a yoga center, meditation pavilion, sauna, and holistic practitioners focusing on naturopathy, detoxification, and revitalization.
Don’t Miss: Cheap Places To Stay In Honolulu Hawaii
Best Neighborhoods In San Jose California
Here are 6 of the best neighborhoods in San Jose with local information on the top places to live!
San Jose, California is considered the heart of Silicon Valley and a bustling technological center in northern California. Full of millennials, techies, and entrepreneurs, if you want to start your own business or want to climb the company ladder then this is the place for you. Not only is San Jose one of the best places to live in California, but the city was also named as one of the best places to start a family and raise children that will be healthy and successful.
While San Jose may be one of the most expensive places to live in the United States, it is known as a great place to live that is surrounded by beautiful suburban neighborhoods and a laid-back downtown. If you have always wanted to live in California and are considering a move to San Jose then this neighborhood guide was created to help you find a place to live that is both safe and affordable. To find out about the best areas to live in San Jose while staying away from the bad areas, here are the 6 Best Neighborhoods in San Jose, California!
South San Francisco Convenient And Laid
Sometimes referred to as South City by those in the know, this is a popular and laid-back place to stay in San Jose and Silicon Valley. Its located on the San Francisco Peninsula, several miles north of the other locales described here.
However, because its located adjacent to San Francisco International Airport and has easy freeway access to the rest of Silicon Valley, many people choose to make South San Francisco their home base.
History buffs will definitely want to schedule a visit to the Plymire-Schwarz Hous
Its an early 20th century structure that first served as a hospital before it became home to Dr. H.G. Plymire. Later, Ernst and Marguerite Schwarz moved in, giving the house the name that it still bears today.
Visitors will find the house filled with period-correct pieces and a full collection of original editions of South San Franciscos local newspaper.
If youre looking for something more exciting or are simply feeling competitive, make your way over to K1 Speed. These fast-moving go-karts race in groups of 12, and this is an exceptionally popular spot in South San Francisco for locals and visitors.
Those in the mood for something completely different can make their way up to Oyster Point where they will find the Wind Harp. Recognized as being among the worlds tallest Aeolian harps, the Wind Harp promises spectacular views of San Francisco and beautiful music on every windy day.
Don’t Miss: Places To Stay In Traverse City On The Water