I Was Born And Grew Up In Athens Many Changes Have Taken
I was born and grew up in Athens, Many changes have taken place. but it is more beautiful now than ever. We enjoyed a delicious meal at The Last Resort and know there are other fine restaurants. It looks like The Varsity is being rebuilt. The best chili dogs and greasy onion rings ever. Yea and GO DAWGS!!
Best Places To Stay In Syntagma
Hotel Grande Bretagne Impressively situated opposite Constitution Square and the Houses of Parliament, this truly is a grand hotel set inside a historic, palatial building. Classic rooms are exquisitely decorated, with patterned tiled floors, ornate furnishings, and beautiful marble bathrooms. Some rooms feature balconies that look out at the Acropolis. Guests will be able to watch the famous changing of the guards at Parliament from here, too. Theres a spa with a variety on offer an indoor pool for utmost relaxation. You can dine on fine Mediterranean cuisine with views of the Acropolis.
Electra Hotel Athens The simple sophistication of this newly renovated hotel makes for a comfortable and relaxing place to stay. But the luxury doesnt stop at the aesthetics theres also a pillow menu for guests and large beds for extra comfort. Staying here means taking breakfast at the rooftop restaurant and enjoying Mediterranean cuisine in the evenings at a more romantic restaurant. From the rooftop, you can enjoy views of Parliament, Syntagma Square, and the Acropolis.
Where To Stay In Piraeus
Triton Hotel Piraeus This 3-star hotel might not be the most lavish or luxurious option however, its in a fantastic location, just a few minutes away from Piraeus train station as well as ferry terminals. The rooms are decked out simply but feature furnished balconies that echo a traditional Greek style of outdoor living. These also come with views of the port. Theres breakfast on offer at this hotel, and an evening meal can easily be found in one of the many eateries in the surrounding area.
Recommended Reading: Where To Stay In Mammoth Ski Resort
St George Lycabettus Kolonaki
This hotel and its entire complex are squeezed within the slopes of the Lycabettus Hill, which are full of pine forests.
It is mainly designed with the need to confer magnificent panorama of the adjacent Saronic Gulf and Acropolis.
It is also located within minutes from the various shops, art galleries, museums, eateries, and offices in downtown Athens.
The hotel was recently feted with the prestigious Ecopolis award. That was in recognition of its unparalleled panoramic views.
At this hotel, you have more than 154 stylish guest rooms and a further 15 suites to choose from.
You will also enjoy great hospitality, luxury rooms and facilities, elegant ambiance, and great cuisines over and above the panoramic views.
C Staying At Kifissia
Kifisia is a posh area of Athens. It is on the same level with Kolonaki area. Here you will find many villas from some of the richest Greeks, a great shopping center with expensive jewelry, clothes and shoes, fantastic restaurants and posh nightclubs.
Kifisias best areas are the Kefalari Square where you can find some nice hotels to stay at and the center of Kifisia, where its shopping center exists. Be careful not to stay at Nea Kifisia, which is a new area that is close to the national road of Athens and doesnt offer many things to do. The hotels in Kifisia are quite expensive.
If you choose to stay here, you will have only the choice of the electric train to get to the center of Athens, in around 45 minutes. There is no underground station in Kifisia. It is a safe area to stay at.
The best hotels to stay in Kifissia are:
3. The Y Hotel in Kifissia:
Read Also: Places To Stay In Falmouth Ma
The Neighborhood Of Plaka
One of the best parts of Athens is Plaka. A very accomodating neighborhood thats bursting with life. Enjoy walking in its ancient streets close to the famous athenian landmark, the Acropolis. Immerse yourself in Greek culture and visit the Museum of Popular musical Instruments and the museum for Folk Art. See for yourself the Ancient and the Roman Agoras that helped shaped the world. In the middle of Plaka sits the Monastiraki Train Station that makes hopping from one place to another, an absolute breeze.
See the beauty of the neighborhood from acropolis.
A local favorite, The Brettos wine bar and its homey atmosphere attracts both local and tourists. An amazing find located right in the heart of Plaka.
Historical gems adorn this neighborhood like the Stoa and the Roman Agora.
As much as you can, avoid the big, luxurious restaurants and wander through the neighborhood to find the little stores that serve home cooked food. This is the best way you can get a taste of the true flavor of Plaka.
Plaka is so used to tourists that souvenir shops are found everywhere.
Where To Stay In Gazi / Kerameikos
To be fair, if the main reason you are going to Athens is the nightlife, anywhere you stay can be good. Small bars are literally everywhere, and it wont take long before you come across a few.
However, if you are looking for some clubbing, the best area to stay is Gazi, close to Kerameikos metro. There are plenty of all-day cafes and restaurants, as well as a selection of late bars and clubs. The backstreets between Kerameikos and Metaxourgio metro are also home to small, hidden bars.
Apart from the nightlife, there are plenty of things to do around Gazi. Benaki Peiraios Museum, one of the best museums in Athens for contemporary art is a ten minute walk from Kerameikos metro. Check their website to see whats happening sometimes there are as many as four parallel exhibitions.
The Technopolis centre, a short walk from the metro, hosts concerts and exhibitions check out their website for more information.
In terms of ancient sites, dont miss Athens ancient cemetery, Kerameikos. Located between Kerameikos and Monastiraki metro stations, it is an impressive open space which is often overlooked by tourists.
Hotels in Gazi Athina Art Apartments
This is one of the best options around the Kerameikos area. These modern lofts are close to the metro station and the heart of the nightlife, yet far enough for a quiet nights sleep. The apartments have indoor hot tubs and fully equipped kitchens, while there is a shared rooftop pool and garden for all guests.
Read Also: Top Places To Stay In Tampa Fl
Acropolis Hill Hotel In Athens
This is a newly built hotel, and attention has been paid to every detail. Features include a swimming pool, sun terrace, and garden. The hotel is also one of the few in Athens which has facilities for disabled guests. If you are looking for a value for money hotel in Athens, this is the one for you.
Some Of The Hippest Places To Stay In Athens
- The Fresh Hotel is a love letter from contemporary Athens to the 60s, with minimal monochrome decor, interrupted with splashes of Pop Art colour. The Omonia location is super central, with easy airport access too if youre only here for a long weekend. And theres a cool vibe, from its rooftop pool and open-air bar, to the classy cocktail bar and restaurant, and the hammam and steam rooms in the spa. The view over Plaka is fantastic too.
- Kolonakis Hotel Periscope is a smart, boutique hotel, ideal for the design-conscious visitor. It has 21 minimalist rooms and suites, with shiny wood flooring, lots of light, lots of white, and walls that feature specially commissioned artworks. Theres a hip lounge too, and the Penthouse Suite has a roof terrace with a private hot tub.
- Psyrris Andronis Athens is a collection of just six luxurious designer suites, with split-level living and private terraces. The decor is quirky and the location is perfect for sightseeing. Theres a trendy cafe/restaurant too, and they have bikes you can borrow to help with your explorations.
Don’t Miss: Places To Stay In Ogallala Ne
Wondrous Views For Everyone
Youre spoilt for choice when staying in Athens. The Acropolis elevated position over the city means many hotels near the Parthenon, Athens, Greece, offer a superb view of this ancient wonder. And with such a wide variety of accommodation options available, theres a stay to suit every taste and budget.
Best Places To Stay In Koukaki
Divani Palace Acropolis True to its name, the Divani Palace Acropolis is a luxurious, grand place to stay. Everything about this place is subtle and sophisticated, with toned down, tasteful interiors. The beds are enormous. Theres an elegant rooftop restaurant with amazing, up-close views of the Acropolis. Another restaurant can be found inside the hotel, plus theres a sleek hotel lounge to recline in. Theres a free shuttle bus from here to Syntagma Square, but also a metro station just 500 meters from the doorstep.
Herodion Hotel The Herodion Hotel is a stylish hotel just mere meters from the New Acropolis Museum, amongst other sights. Incredible views of the Acropolis can be had from this 4-star hotel especially from the restaurant in the evening as the iconic sight is wonderfully lit up. There is a sun terrace and garden where guests can relax. Rooms at this 4-star offering are beautifully appointed and done in a multicolored palette that compliments the surrounding landscape. Some of the rooms feature views of the ancient Acropolis.
Also Check: Best Hotels To Stay In Midtown Manhattan
C Staying At Exarheia
Exarheia area is very close to the center of Athens. This is the most alternative area of Athens. With a good and a bad sense. In Exarheia you will find the most alternative bars, restaurants, and people.
On the other side, this is the most revolutionary part of Athens. Protests start from Exarheia, and you may find police giving fights with people belonging to the anarchist groups. Its not easy to judge Exarheia. It has its character. You either love it or hate it.
Exarheia is not the safest area of Athens to stay at. If you are young and wild, you may want to choose it for its feeling and to get a better sense of Athens. If you are a more conservative traveler, stay away from it.
The Neighboring Area Of Monastiraki
If youre looking for a more serene experience, go for Monastiraki instead of Plaka. While both neighborhoods have the same homey and accommodating feel to them, Monastiraki has more stores than Plaka. Its offerings are more diverse too. From antiques to cultural crafts and even a sunday Flea market, Monastiraki is an area thats more for shopping than sightseeing. This neighborhood is the perfect place to stay if you plan to ride a ferry in Piraeus or get to the airport in Athens because its connected to both of them by the Monastiraki Station.
The Monastiraki train station connecting Monastiraki to both piraeus and athens, makes it an ideal place to spend the night if you plan to reach either of them early the next morning.
Monastiraki is the best place to taste authentic Greek food. Unlike Plaka, this place gets lesser share of the spotlight and therefore less tourist.
Acropolis on the horizon as seen from a street in Monastiraki.
Here are the best places to stay when in Monastiraki:
Also Check: Places To Stay In Duluth Ga
Best Hotels Near The Airport
If you have a late night flight or youre about to drop off a rented car, maybe staying close to the airport would be the best decision for you. Regardless of your reasons, I found three awesome hotels located as close to Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport as possible. Actually, all of them are apartments or guesthouses, but theyre great for your stay nevertheless!
Heres where to stay in Athens near the airport:
- Dinas House Heres my recommendation for luxury travelers who want to be as close to the airport as possible, as this awesome villa is only 4km from the airport. I definitely recommend it for a group of up to 5 people ? Its spacious, super clean and very nicely decorated!
- Villa Vravrona Tower & Suites If youre looking for a middle-priced accommodation instead, know that this villa is pretty close 4km from the airport. They also offer an airport shuttle if you want, which I think is a great bonus!
- Elegant & Cozy Apartment in Artemida If youre on a budget, no worries, I found this great Athens airport accommodation that really has an extremely good price! Plus, its also very close to the airport only 2.5 km away from the terminals and it can host up to 6 people. Awesome, right?
Best Places To Stay In Athens
The best areas to stay in Athens are , or and their surroundings. These neighborhoods are not only charming, but are very close to most of the city’s top attractions, so you can get to them by foot.
Contrarily,the neighborhoods to avoid are: Metazourgeio and the streets to the north and west of Omonia Square, and to the north of Panagi Tsaldari are not very safe. The immigrants arriving in Athens have settled in the area and it can be a little dangerous.
Read Also: Best Place To Stay In Key West For Bachelorette Party
Where To Stay In Gazi
- 47 Luxury Suites Great rooms, centrally located and friendly staff. Everything you want in a luxury hotel.
- Check Out Availability and Prices on: Tripadvisor / Booking.com
- The House Close to the metro, this hotel is a mix of old and new. The building has only 9 rooms but is full of charm.
- Check Out Availability and Prices on: Tripadvisor / Booking.com
- Chameleon Hostel If you are on a budget in Athens this is a great place to stay. Clean rooms and a great location. Perfect for exploring the city.
- Check Out Availability and Prices on: Tripadvisor / Booking.com
Things to see in Gazi:
Technopolis: An old gas plant that has been turned into a cultural center. Live shows, museums and more are held here.
Stroll the Mural Filled Streets: Gazi is the new hotspot for street art. Get lost in the area and discover some great artists.
Gazarte: A cool bar with great views of the Acropolis.
Where To Stay In Athens Plus The Best Hotels In Athens
Guide To What’s Inside
Athens, the capital of Greece, is not only a fantastic European capital to visit, with all its monuments, archaeological sites, and museums. Itâs also a great place to live for longer periods too.
Digital nomads in Greece, remote workers, and full-time travelers that visit fall in love with the Athens and often decide to spend longer than originally intended.
No matter whether youâre visiting for a short time or youâve decided to give life in Athens a try, this guide will walk you through the best places to stay and live in Athens.
In this article, I will tell you which are the best areas for night entertainment, for top hotels in Athens, and for taverns, as well as the best places to go shopping. I will also discuss where not to stay in Athens, those places that are not so convenient, so that you have no doubts left about where you should stay the next time you stay in Athens.
Also Check: Places To Stay In Ventura Ca
Where Is The Best Place To Stay In Athens
If you want to see a lot of historical sights then the neighborhood of Plaka is the best place you could stay in Athens. Every major tourist attraction in Athens is walking distance from Plaka. Except for the National Archaeological Museum, which is a taxi ride away. Its crawling with tourists and it never runs out of people even at night so you can be sure of your safety in the area.
But rest easy, even Plakas surrounding areas are pretty safe too. The neighboring towns of koukaki, Syntagma and monastiraki all share the same busy, crowded scene of Plaka, and they never run out of people too, even at night. Your safety is guaranteed as long as you stick to these areas.
To make the most out of your visit, youd want to make sure to be as close to the major attraction sites as possible to avoid wasting any time travelling to them. Find a hotel thats at least walking distance from the Acropolis and its museum, Plakas busy neighborhood and other historical sights. Here is a list of hotels thats near the area:
- Electra Palace Hotel Athens Located on a peaceful area on the busy but accommodating neighborhood of Plaka, this hotel boasts a magnificent view of the city of Athens and the historical Acropolis.
- Divani Palace Acropolis Located in koukaki, which is a relatively quiet neighborhood, this hotel is close to both the Acropolis and its museum. Drawback is that there probably wont be as many shops and restaurants here as there are in Plaka.
Budget Hotels In Syntagma
- Small Funny World Athens: This is a very good hostel in Syntagma. Here you can choose a single bed and share the room with 13 more guests. Thereâs an en-suite shared bathroom, a shared kitchen, and part of the rooftop terrace has views to the Acropolis, which is just a 10-minute walk away.
- AthINN Residence: This is one more convenient apart-hotel in Syntagma. The units feature a small kitchenette with a microwave, a fridge, and a kettle. The property also offers a terrace.
- Athens Living Room: This place is a convenient flat, with every necessary comfort, just steps away from the center of Syntagma. It includes a bedroom, a living room, a fully equipped kitchen, and a bathroom.
You May Like: Places To Stay In East Lansing Mi