Things To See In Ploce
Ploce is a versatile area where you can easily combine swimming and sightseeing. Banje beach is one of Dubrovniks most popular beaches. Its a stones throw away from the Old Town with epic views to its fortresses and walls. Aside from lounging in the sun, the beach offers plenty of food and drink options.
Lazareti is a set of historic buildings just outside the Old Towns port that were once used as a quarantine. Today the buildings house exhibitions space, cafes and the popular Lazareti music club.
Porporela is a popular seafront walkway with the view to the City Walls and the Revelin Fortress. Its a perfect place for a romantic stroll.
Lokrum island is a special forest vegetation reserve. You can easily reach it on a boat that leaves several times a day from the Old Towns port. The island is pretty magical and a much-beloved place for swimming.
Srd Cable Car is the best place to catch a memorable view of Dubrovnik and its surroundings. On a clear day, you can see as far as 60 km into the distance. There is also a great restaurant at the top of Srd mountain.
Ploce is within walking distance to the Old Town. Ploce is also the Dubrovnik neighborhood closest to the Cilipi airport. Most hotels in Ploce have their own shuttle bus that takes you from the airport into town. Getting to Ploce from other Dubrovnik neighborhoods is easily done by bus.
Old Town Where To Stay In Dubrovnik For The First Time
Welcome to the heart and soul of Dubrovnik! Located in the southeastern part of the city, this area is famous for its medieval walls made completely out of white stone! And not just that, if youve watched Game Of Thrones Im sure youll recognize tons of locations from the Old Town. All the big historical landmarks, museums, and gothic architecture make this area the best choice where to stay in Dubrovnik.
This city is a UNESCO World Heritage site and its not the only one in Croatia, the Plitvice Lakes are also included and a place I highly recommend you visit. You can find more about it in this post about the best accommodation near the lakes.
Start your day by walking on the popular Stradun street in the Old Town, made entirely out of white marble! This is a top attraction for every tourist, and youre so going to love the feeling that you get here! Its like opening the door to the past with all the Renaissance houses lining each side of the street.
You should also see the ancient city walls and get lost in the magical atmosphere there. If you choose a hotel in the heart of the Old Town then youll be able to get around on foot as most attractions are less than 20 minutes away from the accommodations.
Hotel Excelsior 5 Stars
With an almost perfect approval rating on Booking.com, Hotel Excelsior is a five-star hotel with guests raving about the spectacular views from their suites and the hotels fantastic location near the water. Although it is in an older building, the rooms have been updated to reflect more modern tastes.
A spa, private beach, hot tubs, a sauna, and several dining options are available for their guests. The large and squeaky clean bathrooms are sure to impress visitors as well. While the Hotel Excelsior is not located within the city walls, it is a short walk away from all the action. Those staying here are sure to get a restful nights sleep.
Don’t Miss: Best Places To Stay In South Beach Miami Florida
Old Town The Old City Center Of Dubrovnik
Old Town is where all the main attractions of Dubrovnik are. Also, all the important manifestations and general events are held here. During the day, this area is full of people going on walks or sightseeing. At night, you will likely hear music coming from the many restaurants, calling out to you.
So if you like a bit of hustle and bustle in vibrant crowds, this part of the city is for you. Here, you will find many cultural sights and landmarks. In other words, everything you want to see is within walking distance. Thats just one of the reasons why many people choose Old Town as a place to stay in Dubrovnik.
Why I love Old Town:
- Almost all of the manifestations are held here.
- Most of Dubrovniks cultural sights are located here
- There are many restaurants
-| 4 Star | Good for Families | Great Location for Sightseeing
St. Josephs is actually a renovated historic house from the 16th century. It is in an attractive location in Old Town, and is a very good choice for families.
Where To Stay In Dubrovnik Croatia: The Best Hotels & Areas
Emerging as one of the top travel destinations in Europe, choosing where to stay in Dubrovnik has become a prime concern when crafting the perfect Croatia itinerary.
From the old-world charms of Old Town to the luxurious accommodations of Ploce to the seaside pleasures Lapad, the best hotels in Dubrovnik are scattered among a diverse set of areas & neighbourhoods clinging to the historic core of the city.
Need help choosing your perfect Dubrovnik accommodations? Start comparing lodging options in Old Town and beyond with this complete guide to the best places to stay in Dubrovnik including the top areas, neighbourhoods, districts & hotels for travellers
Recommended Reading: Places To Stay In Alamosa Co
Bonus: Things To Know About Parking In Dubrovnik
If youve decided to visit Dubrovnik by car or youre thinking about rentingone, then you should definitely know a few things. We all get carried away when were on holiday and sometimes forget about all the logistics!
Parking in a city like Dubrovnik can be a nightmare especially if you dont know anything about their rules. Thats why I thought I would give you all the information you need on the topic. This city is charming and I dont want your trip to be affected because you werent prepared.
1. Street Parking Zones
There are 5 parking zones in the city of Dubrovnik, and each zone has a different parking fee, however, the ticket price also varies depending on which time of the year youre visiting. As you mightve expected, during the summer the prices reach a peak.
The most expensive one is Zone 0, where the price can reach 70 kunas per hour and the cheapest is Zone 4, but thats super far from the Old Town, and youll end up taking a cab or bus to get there.
- Zone 0: Monday to Sunday
- Zone 1: Monday to Sunday
- Zone 2: the schedule is not available, check before going
- Zone 3: Monday to Sunday
- Zone 4: the schedule is not available, check before going
Check out this map so that you can visualize where each zone is located and how far or close it is from all the attractions.
2. Other Parking options in Dubrovnik
3. How to buy and pay your parking ticket
4. Best hotels with free parking
Best Hotel In Ploce: Apartments Sv Jakov
This delightful three-star property comes with all the necessary amenities for a comfortable and pleasant stay. They have free internet, a Dubrovnik airport shuttle, and luggage storage for guests. Located in Ploce, guests will enjoy relaxing on the terrace as they stare out at the turquoise Adriatic Sea.
Don’t Miss: Where To Stay In St Simons Island
Dubrovniks 5 Best Neighborhoods To Stay In
Although the city doesnt have a tram or train system, the public transit buses are reliable and efficient. Uber is also available and is notably cheaper than local taxis. No matter where you choose to stay in Dubrovnik, youll be able to visit the different neighbourhoods with relative ease.
That said, some of Dubrovniks neighbourhoods are better suited than others to specific interests. Do you want to see the top sights? Maybe you want to have the most beautiful sandy beach just steps from your bed? Perhaps you want to dance the night away without having a long walk home. Well, read on
Best Neighbourhood In Dubrovnik For Your First Time
- COOLEST thing to do in Ploce lounge in the sun, and sample the great restaurants and bars, at Banje Beach
- BEST place to visit in Ploce visit the historic Lazareti buildings, which now host restaurants, art galleries and nightclubs
Right next to the Old Town, Ploce is well located for getting around the city whilst still giving you a little more peace and quiet than you would in the historic centre! From Ploce you can take in marvellous views across the city centre, as well as enjoy the popular Banje Beach perfect if you want to soak up some rays.
Ploce is best for first-time visitors as it gives you a good range of all the citys best attractions. It is also a little bit less touristy than the centre, giving you some space to enjoy the attractions. Whether you want great restaurants, buzzing nightlife or historic charm, Ploce has it all!
- Wander along Porporela a large walkway on the coast, you can enjoy the views towards the Old Town and City Walls
- Hop on the Srd Cable Car up to the top of Srd Mountain where you can marvel at city and coastline
- Lokrum Island, just of the coast of Dubrovnik, is an important forest reserve that you can take day trips to from Ploce
- Take in some inspirational contemporary pieces by Croatian creatives at the Museum of Modern Art, right in the heart of Ploce
- Head to Banje Beach Nightclub popular with locals and tourists alike, they have great drinks prices and varied music sets
Read Also: Where To Stay In San Simeon
Things To See And Do In Old Town:
- Walk along the City Walls that stretch 2 kilometres around Dubrovnik.
- Explore the lively and vibrant Stradun, the main street of Old Dubrovnik that is lined with restaurants, cafes and charming local boutiques.
- Wander through Rectors Palace, the former palace of the Major Council. It is now a museum dedicated to the history of Dubrovnik.
- Discover Sponza Palace, a gothic renaissance palace.
- Take in the stunning views and magnificent architecture of Fort Lovrijenac, a monument that rises almost 40 meters on a rock above the sea.
- Analyze the remains of a 15th-century foundry at Gornji Ugao Tower.
- Shop vibrant vegetables and colourful fruit at the Gunduliceva Poljana farmers market, the oldest market in Dubrovnik.
- Witness the impressive beauty and stunning décor of the Church of St Ignatius of Loyola.
Weve tested countless packs over the years, and now weve found our absolute favourite: the nomad-approved Nomatic Travel Bag.
Want more deetz on why we love it so damn much? Then read our comprehensive review for the inside scoop!
Gru Convenient & Affordable
If you want to change it up from the above locations, you can stay on the water in the area of Gru. Anchored by Gru Harbour, youll be on the mainland on the other side from Lapad Peninsula.
Gru is basically at the foot of the limestone mountains. The area is especially important because its where you find the main ferry/cruise terminal and the main bus station. Its a bit of a busy place but its very functional and youre only a short bus or taxi from the Old Town.
That said, once you get away from the station area, there are waterfront hotels all along the boardwalk that stretches toward the foot of the bay in the direction of the Old Town. The area has a few nice shops and an open-air farmers market.
You also get to see the many boats in the water and have access to boat excursions. We liked the walk along the marina area. You might choose to stay here if you have an early bus/ferry to catch and dont want to miss it!
Up the hillside away from the water, some accommodations connect to the main highway and offer views of the coast.
Featured Accommodations In Gru
Below are some of the top accommodations in Gru. As we said, there are some places to stay right at the waterfront and also places up the hillside. Its a healthy mix of hotels, guesthouses, and apartments as you might expect.
Guesthouse S& L Check Now
- Location: Close to the water, shops/restaurants and bus to Old Town close by
- Featured Amenities: Outdoor pool and garden/terrace area, A/C and kitchenettes
You May Like: Hotels To Stay In Orlando
Old Town Best Place To Stay In Dubrovnik
Theres something pretty amazing about rolling out of your hotel and finding yourself in the midst of the jaw-droppingly beautiful Dubrovnik.
Old Town is where the majority of the citys most iconic sights are, so it makes sense its my favourite pick for where to stay in Dubrovnik.
Game of Thrones fans, keep your eyes open for the filming locations dotted around the Old Town too .
Old Town Highlights
- Nearly all of Old Town is a highlight, but exploring the meandering streets after dark is particularly delightful.
- Buza Bar Dubrovniks chic cliff bar
Suggested Dubrovnik Hotels in the Old Town
- St Josephs . A gorgeous boutique hotel in the centre of the Old Town.
- Prijeko Palace . Opulent decor and gorgeous views await at this chic little stay.
For A Waterfront Hotel
- The Grand Villa Argentina is a stunning Dalmatian villa turned 127-room hotel, positioned right on the waterfront, up against its own private beach. The rooms and suites have a traditional feel, with large windows letting in lots of light and allowing you to take advantage of the incredible views of the water and the Old Town. The Grand Villa has three restaurants, two spas, an extensive spa menu and picturesque gardens.
- The Hotel Kompas is a stylish, ultra-modern hotel in a spectacular spot right by the sea. This is a big hotel, with 173 rooms and suites and all the facilities associated with a large hotel, including a deluxe spa, a choice of atmospheric bars, an excellent restaurant and a large pool. Of course youre right on the water too, so the views are one of the reasons we love this hotel so much.
- The Hotel Bellevue is a glass-fronted, state-of-the-art hotel, with fresh and neutral interiors, and plus spectacular views and an excellent spa. It has 77 rooms and suites, complete with all the mod. cons. and private balconies. The Bellevue also has two restaurants plus a private beach with great watersports facilities. And youre within easy walking distance of the Old Town and nightlife.
Don’t Miss: Where To Stay In Downtown St Augustine
Smart Selection Hotel Epidaurus Cavat 3 Stars
Nothing says family-friendly quite like an All-Inclusive option! At the Smart Selection Hotel Epidaurus, thats precisely what you can expect. This 3-star hotel is located in the beautiful Tiha Cove along the Dubrovnik Riviera, approximately 1 kilometer from the medieval town of Cavtat. With close proximity to a town but enough distance to get away from the crowds, this hotel is a peaceful oasis for families traveling with kids.
Quiet, comfortable rooms offer views of the gardens or the sea and have the option of adding a bed to accommodate various family sizes. Air-conditioning, Wi-Fi, hairdryers, and LCD TV are great modern touches to each room.
St Joseph’s Boutique Hotel
In a great location right in the heart of Dubrovnik’s Old Town, St. Joesph’s Boutique Hotel is in a 16th-century guesthouse, which has been stylishly restored. It features luxe suites that have each been uniquely decorated in a mix of Croatian and modern design. Bathrooms here have oversized rain showers, and two rooms have stand-alone bathtubs. Breakfast is included in the rate and includes fresh baked pastries and yummy home-made smoothies. This bed and breakfast is also kid-friendly.
Also Check: Best Area To Stay In Calgary
Places To Stay In Dubrovnik: Read Next
If you are planning a stay in Dubrovnik, youll also want to read
- The Best Things to do in Dubrovnik. Cool places to see and things to do on your stay in the Pearl of the Adriatic.
- The Game of Thrones Guide to Dubrovnik: Self-Guided Tour and Map. A must for anyone who loves Game of Thrones discover the citys multitude of filming locations on this self-guided tour.
- Dubrovniks Hidden Gems: Getting Off the Beaten Track. Where to escape the crowds and enjoy a different side of Dubrovnik.
- Buza Bar: Why You Need to Visit Dubrovniks Chic Cliffside Bar. Hands-down my favourite bar in Dubrovnik. Going to see the sunset at Buza Bar is a must!
- Cool Day Trip Destinations from Dubrovnik. If you have a little longer in Dubrovnik, here are 10 spots you can easily visit on day trips from the city.
Love this? Save and Share on Pinterest!
Srebreno Where To Stay In Dubrovnik On A Budget
If complete isolation and tranquillity are what you want, escape the city and head to Srebreno. A sheltered turquoise cove, fringed with pebble beaches and pine trees in rugged mountains, Srebreno really does offer a whole different experience of Dubrovnik complete with island vibes and new resorts. Atop the bay is the village, Mini, a charming place just 10km southeast of the Old Town.
Although away from the bustle of the city, Srebreno are regularly serviced by local buses and boats. This makes this area the perfect choice for visitors who want to take a plunge in the Azure Sea and relax on the beach away from the crowds whilst making occasional trips to the centre for some sightseeing.
You May Like: Where To Stay In Tusayan Az