Where To Stay Near Florence: Agriturismo Around The City
Florence is embraced by the famous rolling hills of Tuscany, and the surroundings of the city are wonderful. If you are in Florence with a rental car and are looking for an experience in the countryside, where you can discover traditional cuisine and have wine tastings, then you should stay in an agriturismo!
The best agriturismo near Florence in my opinion isCastello del Trebbio, housed in a medieval castle once belonged to the Pazzi family. Here guests can rent villas and apartments, have wine tasting and cooking classes, or enjoy the restaurants dishes made with local organic ingredients.
Here are some of my favorite and best Agriturismo near Florence, if youre looking for a countryside escape.
Thats it for this time! Thanks for reading, I hope this post is useful for you to organize your trip to Italy and choose the best place to stay in Florence. If you have any questions you can leave a comment or contact me via email or whatsapp.
Other kinds of accommodation in Florence:
- For a complete list of budget accommodation check the complete list of the best hostels in Florence.
- Here is the complete list of all of the 6 hotels with a rooftop pool in Florence.
The Historical Center In Florence
The center of the Renaissance city of Florence is actually quite small, easily walkable from one end to the other in less than 30 minutes and contains almost all of the main sights you’ll be seeing in Florence. So staying within its boundaries makes lots of sense, particularly if your time is very limited and want to see most of the main sights in that short time plan your itinerary in advance starting from your accommodations.
Take a look at the map to the right: see that yellow ring? That “ring” pretty much marks the historical center of Florence and where you’ll be during most of your visit to the city. This area corresponds to the oldest part of the city, the ring is the boulevard built where most of the 13th century walls that circled the town were torn down in the 19th century. If you drive in Florence, you’ll likely drive on these “viali” that circle the downtown area, making sure to not go into the center as it is a limited-traffic zone open to only those with permits.
See a selection of lodgings in the center of Florence here.
Santambrogio Where To Stay In Florence With A Family
If youre looking for a non-touristic place with a traditional, calm atmosphere, head over to SantAmbrogio!
If you want to get away from the flocks of tourists around the city center, but still want to be close to the main attractions that this city has to offer , theres no better place to book your hotel than in SantAmbrogio! Here is where you can get a taste of the local life and I recommend it even more if you love antiques and authentic markets.
By the way, this is actually one of the oldest areas in the entire city! Some of the most well-known attractions here include Piazza dei Ciompi, where youll find an amazing flea market called Mercato di SantAmbrogio, the Great Synagogue of Florence and countless amazing restaurants and pubs.
If you feel like this is the place for you, here are the best accommodation options in SantAmbrogio:
You May Like: Winthrop Places To Stay
Florence Hills Best Place To Stay In Florence For Adventurers
If you are using Florence as a base to explore the other places in Tuscany, then the hills are the best place to stay in Florence for you. Hills surround the city on three sides that offer an opportunity to be close to the city yet enjoy the countrysides quietude.
Staying in Florence Hills helps you to get away from the maddening crowd of the compact city. It also enables you to find relief from the heat and dust of the summer months.
Some of Florence Hills locations include Porta Romana and Evangelical Cemetery at Allori in the south, and Fiesole in the north. Hills are the best areas to stay in Florence for travelers who love walking, hiking, and those looking for an off-the-beaten-track or laidback experience.
Pros and cons of staying in Florence Hills
San Lorenzo And San Marco Where To Stay In Florence On A Budget
The area around Piazza San Marco and San Lorenzo are definitely one of the best areas in the city for people traveling on a tight budget!
These two neighborhoods are very similar, kind of small and right next to each other this is why I decided to combine them into a single, bigger area. Some of the unmissable spots around are the San Marco Church , San Lorenzo Church, the National Archaeology Museum, and San Lorenzo Market , which is a covered market where you can find fresh produce and a food court as well!
These two areas are also perfect for foodies, as youll be surrounded by many trattorias and amazing restaurants perfect to taste some authentic Tuscan cuisine! Plus, youll always be close to the Duomo area . That being said, here are the best hotels around that you can choose from:
Don’t Miss: Things To Do Near Winthrop Wa
Best Hotels In San Lorenzo & San Marco
The charming Hotel Burchianti is only minutes from San Lorenzo church and very close to Firenza Santa Maria train station. Youll stay in a 15th-century building with beautifully decorated rooms, most of which have ancient frescoes decorating the ceiling.
NH Collection Palazzo Gaddi is housed in a building from the Renaissance. The baroque halls are magnificent, and from the rooftop bar, youll have unforgettable views of the cathedral and other Florence landmarks.
Oltrarno: Tranquility On The Other Side Of The River
Oltrarnois the area to the south of the Arno River Oltrarno translates to across the Arno and is made up of two main neighborhoods Santo Spirito and San Frediano. While technically still a part of the historic city center, Oltrarno is usually a little quieter than the areas north of the river.
This is Florences artisans quarter, with plenty of small workshops and independent boutiques. There are also several piazzas filled with restaurants and bars which really come alive with locals enjoying dinner and drinks with friends each evening.
If youre looking to experience the more authentic local side of Florence, Oltrarno is a great area to base yourself in.
Pros and Cons of Staying in Oltrano
- Less Crowded.The big tourist crowds of the city center tend not to make it down to Oltrano, making it better for quiet stays.
- Great Nightlife. The piazzas of Santo Spirito and San Frediano are packed with cool bars which are popular with the citys young local crowd.
- Parking. Some parts of Oltrarno are outside of the ZTL so its a convenient place to stay in Florence if youre traveling by car.
- Distance from Main Attractions. Parts of Oltrano are a little further away from the citys main attractions north of the river so youll either need to walk further or make the most of Florences fleet of small electric ATAF buses.
Places to Stay in Oltrarno
Piccolo Borgo Antico
Santo Spirito Venti
Hotel Pitti Palace al Ponte Vecchio
Friends of Florence
Don’t Miss: Places To Stay In Houghton Mi
Santa Maria Novella: Best Place To Stay In Florence For Families
The Santa Maria Novella neighbourhood stretches along the bank of the Arno River and is quite a varied area. It houses the citys main train station, the Stazione di Santa Maria Novella, making the area well-connected to other parts of Florence.
While the area closest to the train station is the most easily accessible, its also the slightly rougher part of the neighbourhood.
I recommend heading a little further away from the station, where youll find a pleasant and quieter residential area.
Santa Maria Novellas calm and posh residential neighbourhood with its wide paved streets is ideal for a family stay. The area is quiet but also central enough for easy trips to Florences main attractions.
This neighbourhood takes its name from the Gothic-style Santa Maria Novella church. Besides this iconic site, you can also visit the worlds oldest Pharmacy and the Parco delle Cascine in this region.
The historical park is very green and spaciousperfect for a family outing, especially if youre visiting Italy in summer or spring.
Golden hour over the River Arno in Florence, Italy
Santa Maria Novella Accommodation Options
Budget: Hotel Palazzuolo offers simply furnished and very affordable family rooms. It is a short walk from the train station and the Parco delle Cascine.
Watching the skyline of Florence light up from Piazzale Michelangelo
Where To Stay In Florence With A Car
The best area to stay in Florence with a car is right outside the city centre. This means outside the yellow ring . The city centre is a limited-traffic zone open only to those with permits or to residents . There are cameras everywhere and youll probably be fined if you enter with a car in the city centre.
If youre arriving by car there are two options:
- leave your car on parking outside the city centre and stay near Duomo
- book a hotel outside the city centre
Stay in the city centre This is your first option. I recommend it if you plan to spend at least 3-4 days in Florence . Book your accommodation near the Duomo, so you can easily explore the city and wont waste time in transportation.
If you prefer this option, take a look at the beginning of the article for the best accommodation near Duomo.
Stay outside the city centreIf youre visiting Florence for less than 2 days , this is the better option for you. Book a hotel with parking located on the edge of the city centre . In this way, you wont pay additional for an expensive parking lot .
Moreover, youll be less than a 30min walk from the Duomo. Its not a short walk, but youll have your car at hand for day trips around Tuscany.
If you prefer this option, take a look at the hotels below. All of them are conveniently located on the border of the ZTL area .
Recommended Reading: Vacation Rentals Houghton Mi
Best Hotel In San Spirito/san Frediano: Horto Convento
Hotel Convento is a stunning four-star hotel in Florence with an excellent location. Its close to restaurants, bars, and several popular tourist attractions. The hotel comes complete with a garden and terrace, and each room enjoys an ensuite bathroom. This is one of the best luxury hotels in Florence for its location and amenities.
Best For First Time : Historic City Centre
The Duomo area is the best for first-time visitors. Florences citys soul and heart revolve around the famous Duomo and the surrounding area. It is among the best areas to stay in Florence, Italy either for a quick break or longer visits to Tuscany while using the city as the base. For culture, arts, food lovers and history, this place is among the best areas to stay in the city. The area is also ideal for first-time visitors and best for shopping.
Where to Stay in Florence City Centre
- Best Luxury Hotels
You May Like: Accommodation Winthrop Washington
Final Thoughts On Where To Stay In Florence
Florence is an incredible city, bursting with culture, art and excitement. With its amazing food and incredible sights, Florence is certainly one of the best places to visit in Italy.
If youre still unsure where to stay in Florence, you cant go wrong with Piccolo Hotel. With a fantastic location and free breakfast, its budget-friendly and ticks all the boxes for a great stay in Florence.
My recommendation for the best hotel accommodation in Florence is Alfieri9. Charming and cosy, this hotel is close to the centre of the city and offers a great range of modern amenities.
Have I missed anything? Let us know in the comments!
Handpicked Accommodations For Groups
Mostly, groups need a flexible place to stay. Therefore, I highly recommend finding apartments. Hostels are also a great option for young soul travelers to stay at.
Aside from its cheaper than hotel options, a hostel puts you in many convenient amenities that are very ideal for groups like a kitchen and a common area.
Don’t Miss: Places To Stay In Bradenton Fl
Best Hotels In Florence For 2022
Sean FinelliLast Updated: June 13, 2022
Finding the right hotel in Florence can really add to your experience in the Renaissance Capital of Europe. There are hotels with rooftop restaurants, pools, amazing views, and incredible rooms. There are also hotels undergoing construction that will take from your experience. This list is the absolute best hotel in Florence at every price point in 2022. Well let you know what to expect from the hotel and if the area is good for you!
While this list most definitely includes Florences most expensive hotels it does not ONLY include the most expensive ones. We have four categories covered in this order:
Around Santa Maria Novella And San Lorenzo
- Situated right on the Piazza Santa Maria Novella, The Place Firenze occupies an enviable position. Florence’s original boutique hotel, The Place is still as good as ever with superb service, beautiful rooms that exude understated elegance and a cool vibe and fantastic dining right on the square.
- Garibaldi Blu is a designer, 22 room hotel in a great location overlooking the church of Santa Maria Novella, five minutes from the Duomo and close to the station as well. The rooms are large and uncluttered, with some whimsical design features, and the best of them have views over the piazza.
Recommended Reading: Best Area To Stay In Mykonos
Apartments Near The Uffizi
Apartments near the Uffizi offer great value when compared to hotels and if you book early you can find vacation rentals with incredible views of Florence.
Our top picks:
- Relais Piazza Signoria several modern apartments sleeping up to 4 people with kitchenette, dining area and position on Piazza della Signoria
- Cavalieri Palace Luxury Residences luxury studios and apartments for up to 6 people with separate dining area and kitchenette
Find the best apartments and Airbnb stays in Florence on the Plum Guide > >
Best Luxury Hotels In Florence
If you want to treat yourself to a special stay in Florence, even just for one night, here are the most beautiful and exclusive luxury hotels in Florence. Obviously these require a certain budget, but you will also find my recommendations for cheaper accommodation later. Most of the luxury hotels are located within the historic center, except Villa Cora and Villa San Michele which are located on the hills just outside the city. The award for the best luxury hotel in Florence ever goes to Villa San Michele.
- Villa San Michele. Definitely the best luxury hotel in Florence and surroundings. Its housed in a Renaissance villa in the farming village of Fiesole, with wonderful views of the city, which is less than 15 minutes away. The opulence of the past meets a perfect service, fantastic gourmet food and modern luxury that Belmond hotels are always offering.
- Villa Cora ****** a wonderful villa surrounded by a private park with pool. next to piazzale Michelangelo, its just 2 km away from the historical center but its miles away from chaos and crowds. The restaurant has a beautiful view and fine dishes.
- Hotel Brunelleschi **** one of my favorite places in Florence, Hotel Brunelleschi is hosted in the most ancient tower of Florence, dating back to the early Middle Age and built on an ancient roman thermal bath . The main suite has an amazing view on the Brunelleschis Dome . Everything is classy and elegant down the last detail, and their restaurant is great.
Read Also: Best Place To Stay In Mykonos
Apartments In Florence: Accommodation For Families With Kids
If you are traveling with family and children, an apartment is probably your best bet. Having a kitchen available allows you more flexibility in managing the meals of your kids, and can also save you some money. Here are some apartments in Florence that I recommend, the best one in my opinion is Forte 16 View & Spa!
- Forte 16 View & Spa Spacious and modern apartments with great value for money. The rooftop pool with panoramic views and the spa are a nice addition! This aparthotel is located on one of the avenues that delimit the historic center: the Cathedral and the Accademia Museum are a 15-minute walk away.
- Palazzo Branchi colorful, elegant and modern apartments in a charming palace from the 19th century. A perfect place where to stay in a quiet part of the historical center of Florence, 10 minutes away from the Duomo.
- Residence Hilda very close to the Accademia Museum and to the Cathedral, the residence offers comfortable suites with modern amenities and a private parking. Apartments are spacious, clean and fully furnished.
- Relais Piazza Signoria wonderful apartments located in the very heart of Florence, right in Piazza della Signoria. The studios can host from 2 up to 4 people and some of them have a nice balcony. The penthouse has a terrace with a terrific view on Palazzo Vecchio.