Where To Stay In Wyoming Find The Perfect Wyoming Accommodation: Top Places To Visit In Wyoming
Last minute booking.The accommodations indicated with the icononly allow same-day reservations within strict time limits. Please bear this in mind to guarantee your reservation.
There are no more accommodations that exactly fit your criteria. You can try broadening your search by changing some of the filters or move and zoom-out into the map to show more results.
Cedar Mountain Trail Rides
Cody, WY 82414 527-4966
Located just a mile West of the Rodeo ground off the highway to Yellowstone Park, lies a beautiful scenic trail where Cedar Mountain Trail Rides operate.
Operated and owned by Bob Deroche, the company has been in business for 20 years now and continues to give locals and tourists one of the most unforgettable riding experiences here in Cody.
Where To Stay In Yellowstone National Park: Hotels Lodging And Campgrounds
Yellowstone National Park is one of the largest national parks in the United States. Covering nearly 3,500 square miles, Yellowstone has no shortage of places to see and things to do.
But in such a big park, where you stay can be a crucial decision. For example, staying in the right spot in Yellowstone can save you hours of driving per day.
This guide covers where to stay in Yellowstone National Park, including lodges and campgrounds inside the park and hotels outside the park. Youll find everything here, from budget-friendly lodging to more luxurious stays.
Are you looking for more ideas for your trip to Yellowstone National Park? Dont miss these posts!
Looking for more ideas for your national park bucket list? Dont miss this Ultimate National Park Checklist, complete with the best things to do in all 63 USA National Parks!
Yellowstone National Park At-A-Glance
Before diving in, here are a few highlights to help you plan your trip:
Also Check: Winthrop Wa Accommodation
More Things To Do In Cody
I had more plans to explore the town but like I said earlier, we arrived later than planned. Here are a few of the places Id had on my to-visit list:
- Cody Trolley Tour. This wouldve been the easiest way to see the most of Cody in a short amount of time .
- Buffalo Bill Center of the West. A few years ago, they loaned items for an exhibit at The Durham Museum in Omaha and ever since, Ive been curious to see this sprawling campus in person.
- Heart Mountain WWII Japanese Confinement Site. Sure, not exactly the stuff of family vacation excitement, but this was a site that caught my eye because of its a dark part of U.S. history I dont know much about. Its outside of Cody, so it was going to be more of a day trip than a quick stop to add to our Cody itinerary.
- Old Trail Town. Think: Old-time frontier land with buildings and artifacts.
Convenience Of Staying In Hotels Downtown
A balanced option in the heart of Cody is Holiday Inn Cody At Buffalo Bill Village, which features a golf course, a private swimming pool and canoeing. Also, to stay downtown, book a room at Green Gables Inn.
Consider staying in a hotel near Cody Trolley Tours, such as Irma Hotel, which comes at 117US$ per night. If you want to go to Paul Stock House, check out Chamberlin Inn and Super 8 Cody to stay nearby.
You May Like: Where To Stay In Winthrop
The Spirit Of Exploration
Explore Yellowstone National Park, watch a rodeo, or enjoy outdoor activities
Discover the Old West at Buffalo Bill Historical Center. Embrace the spirit of the frontier with interactive exhibits at Old Trail Town. Watch bull riders and bucking broncos at Buffalo Bill Cody Stampede Rodeo. Enjoy mountain views and fairways at Olive Glenn Golf & Country Club. Go hiking and fishing at Buffalo Bill State Park and visit the Yellowstone National Park.
Best Campgrounds In Cody
If youre looking for a more outdoorsy stay, there are plenty of Cody, Wyoming, campgrounds to choose from. You can sleep out under the stars or choose a place to put up your tent and relax.
Check out Big Quiet Camping, where the name alone tells you youre going to be out in the wide-open spaces. They have walled tents, teepees, Japanese cabins, and tent camping to choose from. Out in the organic farmland, you will experience first-hand the healing power of nature.
At the Cody Wyoming Trout Ranch Camp, you can stay in a teepee along the river and catch your own trout dinner. They also have RV spots available.
When youre planning your road trip in the West be sure to make Cody one of your stops. Take the time to enjoy all the history, the scenic outdoors, and all the interesting and varied attractions. Youll be glad you did.
Pro Tip: Be sure to check out the guided tours that include a walking tour of historic downtown Cody and the scenic road tour from Cody to Yellowstone. You can even take a quick preview before you go.
Read Also: Oahu Honeymoon Resorts
Best Lodges And Hotels In Yellowstone National Park
These are the nine lodges and Yellowstone National Park hotels, ranked by proximity to the best things to do:
- Old Faithful Inn, a luxury inn and national historic landmark walking distance to Old Faithful and Upper Geyser Basin
- Old Faithful Lodge & Cabins, a more budget-friendly lodge walking distance to Old Faithful and Upper Geyser Basin and open year-round
- Canyon Lodge & Cabins, a community of hotels and small cabins a short drive from Hayden Valley and Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
- Old Faithful Snow Lodge & Cabins, a genuinely unique lodge near Old Faithful that, while open in the summer, is best visited in the winter via snowmobile
- Lake Yellowstone Hotel & Cottages, a higher-end hotel overlooking Yellowstone Lake located 30 minutes from Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and 1 hour from Old Faithful
- Lake Lodge Cabins, more budget-friendly cabins along Yellowstone Lake located 30 minutes from Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and 1 hour from Old Faithful
- Grant Village Lodge, a waterfront hotel near West Thumb Geyser Basin found 30 minutes from Old Faithful and the Upper Geyser Basin
- Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins, a quaint hotel in the picturesque town of Mammoth, walking distance to Mammoth Hot Springs
- Roosevelt Lodge & Cabins, a rustic lodge about 30 minutes away from Lamar Valley, Mount Washburn, and Mammoth Hot Springs
From mid-December to early March, you have two options:
Elephant Head Lodge History
The Lodge gets its name from a rock formation overlooking it.
The Lodge, Restaurant, and the Trapper cabin were all built in 1910 by Buffalo Bill Codys niece, Josephine Thurston, and her husband Harry W. Thurston. Harry chose the site for its water. He was one of the first Rangers in the Shoshone Forest and knew about the spring that still serves the Lodge today. It was a dependable source of good water for early travelers to Yellowstone and for trappers and Indians before them. The lodge is operated by a Wyoming native with a fourth generation ranch family background.
Recommended Reading: Best Area To Stay In Punta Cana
Hotels In West Yellowstone Montana
West Yellowstone is a great place to stay outside Yellowstone National Park. Its convenient to most of the top attractions, provides plenty of accommodation and dining options, and is minutes from the West Yellowstone airport. Youll also find the fascinating Wolf Discovery Center here well worth a trip!
Drive Time to Popular Attractions:
- Old Faithful: 55 minutes
The best hotels in West Yellowstone, Montana include:
- 1872 Inn, an updated adults-only hotel with 18 guest rooms only minutes to the park entrance
- The Evergreen, a mountain-inspired lodge with 17 guest rooms in the heart of West Yellowstone
- Elkhorn Cabins and Inns, rustic cabins with 15 guest rooms just outside the Yellowstone park entrance
- Kelly Inn, a budget-friendly hotel with 78 guestrooms, an indoor pool, and a great location in downtown Yellowstone
- Explorer Cabins, resort-style cabins with 50 guest rooms and an indoor pool, perfect for families
- Yellowstone Park Hotel, a more luxurious hotel with 66 guestrooms, an indoor pool, and a fitness center located a few minutes outside West Yellowstone
Cody Dug Up Gun Museum
1020 12th StCody, WY 82414 587-3344
The Cody Dug Up Gun Museum is located just a short distance away from the East entrance to Yellowstone National Park.
The museum uniquely displays over 1,000 gun artifacts and weapons obtained through various notable eras in history like the US Civil War, World Wars I and II, the Old West and Indian Wars, and more.
Recommended Reading: What To Do In Winthrop
Best Campgrounds In Yellowstone National Park
The campgrounds managed by Yellowstone National Park are reservable 13 months in advance via the online reservation system. Unlike lodges inside the park, campgrounds dont fill up quite as quickly. That said, I still recommend booking campgrounds at least six months out for trips in the summer months.
There are four campgrounds in Yellowstone National Park managed by Recreation.gov. You can book these sites on a 6-month rolling basis.
- Mammoth Campground in Mammoth, near Mammoth Hot Springs and the North Entrance. This campground is open year-round and offers 85 tent and RV sites, accommodating RVs up to 30 feet long. Reservations are only available from May to October.
- Slough Creek Campground, near Lamar Valley and the Northeast Entrance. This campground is open from mid-June to mid-October and offers 16 tent and RV sites, accommodating RVs up to 30 feet in length.
- Pebble Creek Campground, near Lamar Valley and the Northeast Entrance. This campground is open from mid-June to late September and offers 16 reservable tent and RV sites. In addition, there are 11 sites available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Norris Campground in Norris, near Norris Geyser Basin. This campground was closed in 2021. If open in 2022, it offers 111 tent and RV sites, accommodating RVs up to 50 feet long.
Hotels In Cody Wyoming
This old west town is located in northwestern Wyoming, about an hour from the East Entrance to Yellowstone National Park. Since its located further from the park, I dont consider it the best place to stay for exploring Yellowstone.
If youre heading out to explore more of Wyoming or South Dakota after visiting Yellowstone, staying in Cody is an excellent option for a one-night layover.
Drive Time to Popular Attractions:
- Old Faithful: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Grand Prismatic Spring: 2 hours 40 minutes
- Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone: 2 hours
- Hayden Valley: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Mammoth Hot Springs: 3 hours
- Lamar Valley: 2 hours 10 minutes
The best places to stay in Cody, Wyoming include:
- Best Western Premier Ivy Inn & Suites, a high-end, updated hotel with 70 guest rooms, plus an indoor pool, onsite restaurant, and bar
- Chamberlin Inn Cody, a luxury hotel featuring 22 guest rooms, including both suites and standard rooms, with an onsite restaurant and bar
- Hampton Inn & Suites Cody, a recently updated chain hotel that offers excellent value with its 92 guest rooms, indoor pool, fitness center, and location to downtown
- The Cody Hotel, a cozy hotel with 75 guest rooms, an indoor pool, fitness center, and free buffet breakfast in downtown Cody, Wyoming
- Cody Cowboy Village, rustic property in downtown Cody with a mix of 50 standard hotel rooms and one-bedroom cabins, featuring an outdoor spa pool and hot tub
Don’t Miss: Places To Stay Winthrop
Where To Eat In Cody Wyoming
Youre out West, so meat lovers, prepare to eat some delicious locally-raised cattle and wild game. You can even have a good old chuck wagon meal. The restaurant at the Irma Hotel serves up its famous prime rib and authentic Rocky Mountain oysters. You can even grab a tasty Buffalo Bill beer at the bar. Youll also find a wide array of other food spots that feature Mexican, Italian, German, Japanese, and Chinese cuisines. Something to please just about every palate.
Sue Reddel & Diana Laskaris
Lodges In Grand Teton National Park
If youre looking to stay south of Yellowstone National Park, your best bet is staying inside Grand Teton National Park. I highly recommend spending several days in Grand Teton National Park before or after your Yellowstone vacation.
If you plan to spend most of your time in Grand Teton and only make a day trip to Yellowstone National Park, I recommend staying in one of these lodges in the northern part of Grand Teton, closest to Yellowstone.
Drive Time to Popular Attractions from Colter Bay in Grand Teton National Park:
- Old Faithful: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Grand Prismatic Spring: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Hayden Valley: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Mammoth Hot Springs: 2 hours 40 minutes
- Lamar Valley: 2 hours 50 minutes
These are the best places to stay in the northern part of Grand Teton National Park:
- Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch, a mountain hotel in the far northern part of Grand Teton , featuring 92 guest rooms and an onsite restaurant and bar
- Colter Bay Village, a family-friendly property featuring 46 one and two-bedroom cabins with two restaurants and bars, plus laundry facilities on site
- Jackson Lake Lodge, a luxury lodge featuring 385 guestrooms, suites, and cottages with incredible views of the Tetons, plus three onsite restaurants and bars
Don’t Miss: Wither Heights Myrtle Beach
There Is So Much To See And Do In Cody That It Requires More
There is so much to see and do in Cody that it requires more than one trip to experience all that Cody has to offer. There was not anything that we did not like about Cody starting with the room accommodations to all the wonderful sites to see and restaurants and shops. It was a great place to visit and the trips to all the other states surrounding Wyoming is an experience that we will not forget.
Absaroka Mountain Lodge: East Yellowstone Cabin Rentals And Restaurant
Absaroka Mountain Lodge is a small family owned and operated resort located 12 miles outside the East entrance of Yellowstone National Park and 39 miles west of Cody, Wyoming along the Northfork corridor that Teddy Roosevelt once deemed, the most scenic in America. Nestled in Gunbarrel Canyon among the towering pines and along the banks of Gunbarrel Creek, Absaroka Mountain Lodge has accommodated guests since the early 1900s with authentic western hospitality. Listed on the National Registry of Historic places, our Lodge was once owned by Buffalo Bill Codys grandson, Fred Garlow.
All of our 15 rustic log cabins have their own cozy charm and have been modernized with heat, electricity, mini fridges, microwaves, and private bathrooms.
Read Also: Chewuch Inn Winthrop Wa
Essential Tips For Your Stay In Yellowstone National Park
- Pick the best location to minimize driving time. If you have three days or less, I recommend staying in Canyon Village. If you are visiting Yellowstone for four or more days, I recommend splitting your time between two accommodations to save driving time. Outside of the park, West Yellowstone is the closest to most attractions.
- Visit in the summer when lodging is open. Most lodges and campgrounds in Yellowstone National Park dont open until May and close in October. If you choose to visit in winter, your only options inside the park are Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel or Old Faithful Snow Lodge.
- Save money by staying outside the park. If youre on a budget, consider staying in nearby towns like West Yellowstone or Gardiner. Lodging inside the park can be expensive due to high demand and limited options. I recommend using Hotels.com to find budget lodging available during your trip dates.
- Avoid crowds by starting your day early, especially if you stay outside the park. From June to September, trails and attractions are packed by 10 AM. Lines form at the park entrances after 9 AM. Beat the crowds by starting around sunrise.
Looking for more tips on what to pack for your trip? Check out my guides on the best hiking gear, what to pack for a road trip, and essential camping gear for all my favorite gear picks and tips to make packing for your trip a breeze!
Explore And Find Your Best Apartments B& bs And Others
Yellowstone Valley Vacation Lodge is a B& B situated a 15-minute walk from The Smith Mansion. Consider staying at Buffalo Bill Village, a kid-friendly hotel with an outdoor swimming pool, a golf course and a private swimming pool near Vietnam Memorial. Rodeway Inn is a popular resort that also offers free self-parking, an indoor swimming pool and a golf course, so you and your entire family can relax after a day exploring Cody.
Also Check: Vacation Rentals Houghton Mi
Cody Wyoming Offers Ample Opportunities To Experience The Great American Adventure
Founded by the legendary scout and showman, Colonel William F. Buffalo Bill Cody, Western attractions such as nightly summer rodeos, gun fight reenactments, cowboy music and the world-class Buffalo Bill Center of the West offer just a few things to do in Cody. You can even walk through Old Trail Town to see authentic 1890s frontier buildings that made up the original town site. Those pining for an outdoor escape can find mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, fly fishing, horseback riding and river rafting in the nearby Shoshone National Forest. Just a 50-mile drive east will bring you to the iconic Yellowstone National Park, where you can spend days admiring geysers, lakes and wildlife. The Cody-Yellowstone area, which includes Powell to the north and Meeteetse to the south, also boasts three scenic byways featuring stunning landscapes. If youre feeling daring, head to Sleeping Giant for a ziplining experience with breathtaking views of the Absaroka Mountains or zip down the areas ski runs in the winter. Save some time for strolling through Codys downtown, which includes fine restaurants, art galleries, unique shopping and the historic Irma Hotel.