Where To Stay In London For A Local Experience: Chelsea
If your wanderlust inspires you to mingle with locals everywhere you go, its important to stay in an area that isnt overrun by tourists. The Chelsea neighborhood is known among Londoners as a posh place to be, and youll find plenty of high-end boutiques and restaurants along Kings Road. During the day, you can explore an art exhibition at the Saatchi Gallery or see a play at the Royal Court Theater. At night, check out one of the many pubs and bars in the area like Juju or The Bletchley.
Family Hotels In Bloomsbury
This area is a great compromise between price and location with lots of 3 and 4 star hotels and is perfect for families to stay. Bloomsbury is a quieter area popular with families, with green spaces like Bloomsbury Square Garden and small streets like Sicilian Avenue. The neighbourhood attracts artists, writers, and painters, with the British Museum located in Bloomsbury, and its only a 20-minute walk to Covent Garden and Oxford Street.
Bottom line: A good location and affordable prices, with excellent transportation links and close proximity to the shops of Oxford Street. Possibly the best location to stay in London for families
- Transport: The main stations are Russel Square and Holborn. Its close to Euston, St Pancras and Kings Cross stations. This area is especially convenient if you are traveling on the Eurostar trains or to Luton airport.
- Local Sightseeing: The British Museum and its a very pretty area.
- Nightlife & shops: The best restaurants are located down Torrington Place but there isnt much in the way of shops or nightlife in the area. Youll find mainly convenience stores.
- Cost: Budget to mid-price
Where To Stay In North London
York & Albany
On the edge of hip Camden and swanky Regent’s Park, this former 1820s coaching house oozes elegance. Guests can sip on a cocktail in the airy upstairs bar before savouring a meal at the stylish onsite restaurant, which belongs to the Gordon Ramsey group.
Great Northern Hotel, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, London
Located right in the heart of Kings Cross, this grade II-listed building fuses contemporary architecture with renaissance grandeur. And the interior is no less impressive with eye-catching artwork dotted throughout the hotel and cosy rooms that have been thoughtfully designed. In addition to two bars and a first-floor restaurant, guests can pick up a sandwich or a sweet treat from the 24-hour “Pantry”.
Backpackers on a budget can check into Clink78, a funky hostel in a former courthouse. Not just any old courthouse though – Clerkenwell Magistrates’ Court, a Grade II listed building, where Charles Dickens worked whilst writing Oliver Twist. As soon as you set foot in the hostel, you are greeted by friendly staff and colourful artwork. Many of the building’s unique features remain, including the original metal doors and barred windows. In addition to the many shared spaces, guests can grab a late-night drink at the hotel’s onsite bar.
Don’t Miss: Snowmobile Rentals In Houghton Mi
Best Neighborhood Fo Luxury: Mayfair
Mayfair is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in London. Located between Hyde Park and the West End, its home to numerous five-star hotels, classy art galleries, and ultra-expensive shops but quiet at night. If youre looking to stay in one of the citys fancier and more beautiful neighborhoods, this is it!
Best Places to Stay in Mayfair
- BUDGET: Mermaid Suite Hotel There are no hostels in this neighborhood, but the Mermaid Suite Hotel on Oxford Street is one of the best affordable options. Youll get a private room with an en suite bathroom, satellite TV, and tea and coffee. Theres also a free continental breakfast.
- MID-RANGE: Mayfair Guesthouse Although all the rooms in this guesthouse are private and spacious , most of them come with shared bathrooms. Its a really good value property for this part of town.
- LUXURY: The Beaumont Hotel Walking into the lobby is like stepping back into time. The walnut-paneled walls are covered in original classic paintings and photography, and all the rooms are art deco style with king-sized beds. The marble bathroom floors are heated. Take advantage of the sauna, steam room, fitness center, and hammam. If youre going to treat yourself to dinner, try the fresh lobster at the Colony Grill. Or you can pretend its the 1920s and order a strong whiskey cocktail in the low light of Jimmys Bar.
The Best Areas To Stay In London Are In Zone 1
Speaking of the tube, ticket prices for the tube are calculated based on Zones within London, and the zones are shaped like a target. Zone 1 is the most central part of London, Zone 2 encircles Zone 1, and so forth.
Most of the things youll want to see in London are in Zone 1, so the best area to stay in London is generally within Zone 1, too, so that youll save money on the cost of your tube tickets.
The two areas where I recommend staying in London are both in Zone 1, so youll be set to get around the city as cheaply as possible!
Recommended Reading: Places To Stay In Winthrop Washington
Bonus : Best Apartments In Central London
You might be the type of traveler that prefers apartments instead of hotel rooms or hostels. And theres nothing wrong with that, I assure you! Apartments are great if you want a homey feeling, if you want to save some money or if youre traveling in a bigger group or with your family.
Needless to say that London has TONS of awesome apartments on Airbnb that you can choose from, right? And below I have selected the best ones I could find only in the central London neighborhoods:
- Modern Studio Apartment This beautiful and spacious studio will be perfect for your trip to London! Its located in Fitzrovia, a residential area in Central London, and youll be able to reach places like Leicester Square and Hyde Park on foot and has a pre-stocked fridge!
- Citadines Studio Enjoy those city views from the ceiling-to-floor window of this studio apartment thats located less than a mile away from Trafalgar Square and Leicester Square. Youll have a small kitchenette, a private bathroom, and free wifi at your disposal.
- Covent Garden Flat with a Charming Sunroom If you want to stay in a beautiful place that will help you save some precious time because of the central location, minutes from all the important attractions, this apartment is for you! Its just great if you want to enjoy a personal touch and a super clean space.
Notting Hill Best Area For A Romantic Couples Getaway
Notting Hill is full of pastel-colored Victorian townhouses and narrow cobblestone streets, perfect for some unforgettable pictures and plenty of quiet romantic strolls with your partner.
Im pretty sure youve seen pictures of Notting Hill before, as its one of the most neighborhoods in the entire London!
You may not bump into Julia Roberts or Hugh Grant on the streets as in the famous Notting Hill movie, but this neighborhood in London is so unique that youll fall in love with it instantly and its been featured in so many rom-coms that it will be hard not to feel the romance!
There are tons of antique shops, boutique stores, and cool cafes in this neighborhood but my favorite thing has to be the Portobello Road Market, which takes place during the weekend.
I found some of the coolest items here that went into my personal collection and theyre all one-of-a-kind pieces, so if youre into vintage products, old clothes then youll probably want to spend your whole weekend here.
Here are some of the best hotels in Notting Hill:
Read Also: Winthrop Wa Places To Stay
Paddington Trains & Townhouses
Another good area to stay in London is Paddington. Located along the northern border of beautiful Hyde Park, this compact area is a little more residential feeling and packed with townhouses.
One reason you might recognize Paddington is due to the presence of Padding Train Station which is located in this area.
Paddington Station is another one of the major rail hubs in the city. This station is also the home of the Heathrow Express a great way to get to the airport quickly and reliably.
Paddington or Lancaster Gate Tube Stations are in the area for easy access to other city parts.
Aside from the rail station, there isnt a ton to do in this area attraction-wise. There are many smaller green spaces dotted throughout but its generally a quieter, more residential area.
The Paddington Basin is a small waterway with bridges and Little Venice a short walk away. The heart of the area has many restaurants and places for drinks. Generally, the area is very heavy with accommodations options.
Featured Accommodations in Paddington
Below are several great accommodation options in Paddington. The area is certainly one of the more affordable places to stay in London that is still centrally located. This is because of the lack of sight and attractions.
However, this area has a very high concentration of smaller townhouse hotels many of which are on the more affordable side of things!
Lancaster Gate Hotel Check Now
Things To See And Do In South Bank/southwark
Explore The Queens Walk.
Rest and relax in Jubilee Gardens.
Snack and sample your way through the South Bank Centre Food Markets.
Catch a classical or musical performance at the National Theatre.
See your favourite sea creatures and aquatic animals at SEA LIFE London Aquarium.
Enjoy a feast at Pieminister.
Slurp a hot and filling bowl at Neds Noodle Bar.
Dine on a cheeky curry from Chilli Chutney Waterloo.
Excite your sense at the Borough Market.
Take a short walk to marvel at St Pauls Cathedral.
Visit Shakespeares Globe Theatre.
See The Shard.
Browse the exhibits at the Tate Modern or National Portrait Gallery.
Walk up to Tower Bridge and the Towers of London
You May Like: Best Area To Stay In Mykonos
Camden: Best Place To Stay For Hipsters Music Lovers And Budget Travelers
Bohemian, eclectic, bustling, and vibrant these are just some of the words used to describe Camden, the north London neighborhood that celebrates diversity in all its forms.
Good to know: Camden Town is located about 15-minutes by tube from the heart of the city center of London. So youll need to take a metro for all the other main attractions. This is one of the reasons why its cheaper to stay here compared to the more central areas.
Indy shops and stalls abound, selling counter-culture clothes and accessories, vintage goods, pop art, handmade goods and so much more. Youll find virtually every kind of cuisine served here, both in the local eateries and at the street food section of the market on the Regents Canal.
And when you need a break from the hustle and bustle of the crowded streets, a walk along the canals towpath takes you away from the action and a little closer to nature.
When the sun goes down, its time to hit Camdens many bars, pubs, and entertainment venues, where you can usually catch comedy or a live band. The area has a rich musical heritage, with bands like Snow Patrol and Oasis starting out here. And whatever musical genre floats your boat, youll find somewhere to enjoy it in Camden.
Here are some of the best-rated hotels in Camden:
East London Hotels Shoreditch
Luxury: The Curtain
The Curtain is a super-chic and modern hotel close to Hoxton Square. With its exposed brick walls, colourful contemporary furnishings and vintage features, the Curtain is just about as Shoreditch as you can get. But the highlight of the hotel has to be its outdoor pool and terrace area which is particularly stunning at night with twinkling fairy lights and panoramic views across the city.
Mid-range: Citizen M Shoreditch
Ultra-modern and filled with colourful artwork, Citizen M is a great option for staying right in the heart of Shoreditch. Many of the bright and spacious rooms have great views over the city, while there are plenty of cool communal areas where you can get some work done or simply enjoy a book with a hot cup of tea. Citizen M is a mid-range hotel chain to look out for across some of the worlds major cities.
To find out more things to do in North London, check out my post 20 Things To Do Near Kings Cross St Pancras in London
Read Also: Cheap Hotels In Winthrop Wa
Where To Stay In Kensington/south Kensington
- Airbnb in Kensington Located on the ground floor of a Victorian House this studio comes with a double bed and is located right across from Kensington Palace.
- Best Mid-Range Hotel: The Resident Kensington Perfectly located in the heart of Kensington this hotel gets rave reviews for its great staff and beautiful rooms.
- Check out Prices and Availability on TripAdvisor / Booking.com
- Best Budget Hotel: Park Grand London Kensington Perfect family-friendly hotel with great rooms and amenities. Close to the Earls Court Tube station.
- Check Prices and Availability on TripAdvisor or Booking.com
Attractions near Kensington/South Kensington
- Kensington Gardens
How Much Does It Cost To Stay In London
Based on our experiences, you are looking at the following prices to stay in London. These prices are based on two people sharing a hotel room.
- Budget: Â£40 Â£100 per night
- Mid-range: Â£100 Â£250 per night
- High-end / Luxury: Â£250+ a night
These prices will vary depending on the time of year you visit, but should give you an idea of what to expect in terms of accommodation prices in London.
Of course, you can save money in a number of ways, from booking dormitory style accommodation through to travelling as a group and booking an apartment rental. See our tips further on in the post for saving money on the cost of accommodation in London.
Don’t Miss: Places To Stay Phoenix
Best Hostel In London: The Walrus Hostel
The Walrus Hostel wins our vote for the best hostel in London because of its excellent location, fantastic facilities and great prices ideal for budget travellers. It boasts spacious and comfortable rooms with cozy beds and modern features. You can choose between dorm rooms and private rooms. Free wifi and a simple breakfast is also included with each reservation.
Where To Stay In London For First
The best location to stay in London for your first time would be anything centrally located. This will allow you easy access to all the top sights and attractions, public transit, and plenty of bars, cafes, shops, and restaurants to try.
Sidney Hotel London-Victoria in Pimlico/Westminster, The Z Hotel Covent Garden in Soho/Covent Garden, or Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London in South Bank would all fit these descriptions quite nicely!
Recommended Reading: Winthrop Wa Things To Do
Kensington Upscale & Shopping
Kensington is a large area with smaller defined areas . Located just to the west of Hyde Park, Kensington borders some nice areas like Notting Hill and Knightsbridge.
Often, the area is grouped in with nearby Chelsea. Kensington itself is very upscale/affluent with beautiful older buildings and many different Embassies throughout. Kensington is also one of the best neighbourhoods to stay in London for shopping.
The area surrounds Kensington High Street known for upscale shopping and lots of places to eat and drink.
As for things to do, you can check out the Natural History Museum, Royal Albert Hall, Holland Park, more museums, and of course Kensington Palace!
Kensington is also great because there are Tube stations in the area. This means you can explore the rest of the city and get home easily at the days end.
A stay in Kensington means you can easily venture over to nearby Knightsbridge. This other shopping area is famous for Harrods the department store and the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Featured Accommodations in Kensington
Below are several nice accommodations in the Kensington area. Those wondering where to stay in Kensington will find that there are many 5-star accommodations located here.
That said, you can find a mix of accommodations by type and style as well.
Park Grand London Kensington Check Now
- Style: A Traditional yet Reliable Hotel
- Price Range: Mid-Range
Baglioni London Hotel Check Now
London Bridge And The South Bank Best For Tourist Attractions
More than just a common nursery rhyme, London Bridgemakes a good base for exploring London thanks to its central location and excellent transport links.
London Bridge might not be the first place you think of when you ask where to stay in Central London, but its an excellent choice.
London Bridge and the South BankHighlights
- Afternoon tea at Ting in the Shangri La. You can enjoy the views from the Shangri La in the Shard by booking in for their afternoon tea.
- Borough Market Londons most famous food market. Go with an empty stomach, buy gourmet treats to bring home before settling in to one of the excellent restaurants in the area .
- The Viewing Platform at The Shard Survey the city from the top of its tallest building
- The London Eye Observe London as you circle around this giant observation wheel.
- The National Theatre Groundbreaking plays, old classics and more the National Theatre consistently puts on the best shows in town. Tickets can be hard to come by but can often be bought on the day if you have the time to call or queue .
- Skylon Dinner and cocktails with views in the Oxo Tower.
- The Tate Modern Londons largest modern art gallery towers above the South Bank. A must visit for all contemporary art lovers.
Shangri La at The Shard, London Bridge
Rooms with an incredible view
The Shard is Londons tallest building, so it makes sense that its hotel, the Shangri La, has some of the best room views in the city. Still, that doesnt do it justice.
You May Like: Lodging In Houghton Mi